Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing like child labour! ;Joyful

IMG_2279.JPEG

This gravel has a lot of dust so took quite a bit of time and effort to wash 90 kg of it!

IMG_2280.JPEG

Poor boy got tired after the first 20kg... so guess who washed the rest? ;)

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured that the best way to get a good estimate of the actual water volume in the system was to use the amount of salt I would need to get the water to 35 PPT.

So I measured out how much of my Fauna Marin salt was needed to get 1 liter of RO/DI water to 35PPT: 42g.

Then I added salt to the system until I tested 35PPT. That required 72kg of salt. 72kg divided by 42g gives just over 1,700 liters of water. I figure that once I added the old live rock from my old tank I would end up with a net volume of 1,600 - 1,650 of water.

So I'll be using 1,600 liters as the base amount of water for any future calculations (additives, etc etc).

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two new RE pumps in the return chamber. They are running perfectly, each at 50% and as usual, can't hear a whisper from them ;Joyful. I added a bit of 50mm pipe and a slightly downturned 90 degree bend to each intake just to allow more leeway in the depth of the return chamber before they start sucking air.

8EF7D878-3180-4070-8023-3D05BE0F1B51.jpg

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Profilux, Profilux Expansion box and doser installed at this end. Air extractor is connected up and managed by the Profilux as well.

And cabling is almost finalized. The Profilux probes are still not in their final position as I'm waiting for another probe holder. I'll leave the temp probe in the overflow box but move the redox, pH and conductivity probes down into the skimmer section of the sump.

IMG_2309.JPEG

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics under the hood...

Here is where a lot of my old live rock ended up. You can also see that I've installed the two independent Tunze Osmolators. Currently using the Osmolator magnet system to hold the level sensors but have ordered the "rail" option from Tunze that I can glue to the side of the sump and slide the sensors up and down them. The magnets hold across the 19mm of the PVC side but not very strongly...

I also haven't had the time to install the RE reactor for my carbon so I just took the Aquaforest one I had running on my old tank and filled it with carbon. It just holds enough (about 900ml of carbon).

IMG_2311.JPEG

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this piece of equipment I am really impressed with. My AWC. Currently changing 1% of the water (16 liters) a day, spread over 150 times in the day. Everything just seems more stable: Redox, pH, KH etc. ;Joyful

In the previous picture I posted you can see the white RO tubing going into the return part of the sump... that's the fresh saltwater input.

IMG_2314.JPEG

And here in this picture the blue tube that's going into the white PVC pipe is where the litermeter takes out water.

IMG_2311.JPEG

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another positive on the Litermeter is that the changes have no effect on the ATO system(s) at all because so little water is taken out and replaced each time! ;Happy

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after two or three days this started happening, as expected... diatoms:

IMG_2310.JPEG

Covered all the new rock and much of the gravel.

But to my surprise, as of two days ago, that same area looked like this:

IMG_2319.JPEG

Can the diatom phase of the "ugly" phase already passed? If so, I'm not complaining! ;Happy

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Among the many things still needing doing is for me to sort out and adjust the lighting. I need to get my Seneye PAR meter out and see what my current light settings is giving me, especially at the bottom of the 85cm of water...

But visually these lights are great! Very good coverage and not too much harsh shadowing, at least much less that I had with the Hydra 52s I had over the old tank.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I measured NO3 and PO4 on the 24th, two days after the move... NO3 was at around 0.5-0.75 ppm and PO4 at 0.086.

Remeasured yesterday: NO3 is 0 and PO4 is at 0.031...

And I don't run any type of phosphate removal media.

I think I need to feed more ;Happy.

I have a batch KNO3 that I could always use to raise the NO3 if they stay at 0. I don't like 0 nutrients...

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I’d invest in the GHL measurement cell to hold your probes, I love mine a fabulous bit of kit

How do you run the tank water through them? If I understand correctly they take 20mm connections so I'd have to put together a dedicated pump and piping to run water through it?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back