Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginning of the next phase of the uglies ;Wideyed

IMG_2331.JPEG

GHA... and it ended up covering my back wall too. Long thick strands ;Rage .

Hence my first new fish purchase:

IMG_2330.JPEG

These pics are still just iPhone pics. Need to get that DSLR out!

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still showing pretty much zero PO4 and NO3. I'm pretty sure that's because the back wall of the DT has become a super macro algae refugium that's sucking it all up! ;Shamefullyembarrased

So I manually scraped everything off the back wall, took out lots of it and let the rollermat take out the rest. Speaking of which, this thing works very well... and beats washing filter socks! ;Joyful

IMG_2366.JPEG

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I'll be receiving another two yellow tangs and a kole tang... and a sea hare. That should help get through this ugly bit!

Will be interesting to see how the current yellow tang reacts to suddenly having some competition. I hope that by adding three tangs in one go that it will dissipate any aggression and let them settle in better.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also purchased one of these. I had one on my other tank and really liked it. The new style Tunze Care Magnet works well but the Flipper Max saves time as it covers a larger surface area. I use the Tunze on the bottom of the glass as that is really good at avoiding grinding gravel against the glass.

IMG_2325.JPEG

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer silently (very silently!) working away. Haven't hooked it up to the Avast bucket yet but I did add the tap to make it easier to empty.

The swabbie wipes down the inside of the neck very well... I have it running for five minutes every six hours. Allows for very consistent skimming.

IMG_2365.JPEG

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I replaced the two Tunze osmolator magnetic sensor supports with these Tunze rail supports. I've set one slightly lower than the other. The magnet supports did not give me confidence as they didn't grip very well across the 19mm PVC wall of the sump. Now I sleep better! ;Happy

IMG_2364.JPEG

You can also see the GHL high sump level sensor (the grey float sensor). I'll cut the acrylic rod that holds it much shorter. At the moment this just turns off the skimmer to keep it from overflowing (and sends me an alarm). The osmolators have their own high level float sensors that turn them off.

And I hooked up the RE reactor, filled with a liter of carbon. It's hooked up directly to the return pump I had running on my old tank, a Red Dragon 50, with a ball valve to regulate the flow. On my list of projects is to put together a manifold with three or four outlets powered by this pump...

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when I was testing the reaction of the system when return pumps were turned off, individually and both, I discovered a surprising (at least to me) problem. As a reminder, I have two return pumps on two return lines, each pump running at 50%.

I have my return lines ending about 1-1.5cm under the DT water level. The sump can easily handle that amount of water flowing back through the return lines until the outlets are above water and break the siphons.

However: if one return pump was turned off and the second return pump continued running, the running pump kept the DT water level at a point where the siphon did NOT break on the return line of the pump that was turned off... So I ended up with very little water going over the overflow as most of the water pumped up by the working pump was coming back down the return line that had now become a 40mm drain pipe!

And when I turned the second pump back on, it struggled to start pumping water up the return line that was now a drain. The impeller was spinning so fast in the wrong direction that it could not start pumping water up the return line.

After a discussion with Ridgeway (he of SWUBE fame on Ultimate Reef), he suggested putting in a siphon break higher up on the return outlet by drilling a 6mm hole in the pipe and using some 1/4" tubing and a 90 degree bend to have that break just barely under the normal DT water level.

Like this:

IMG_2361.JPEG

And this on the second return:

IMG_2362.JPEG

And voila! problem solved. Now the siphon breaks even if one pump keeps running. And as the return is no longer acting as a drain, when the pump comes back on it has no problem starting up and running normally.

I'm thinking about having a second one of these on each return in case one gets blocked but that isn't urgent at the moment. I'll look at doing that before the next time I'm planning on being away from the tank for a long period.

Many thanks to Ridgeway for the advice! ;Happy

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And from my favourite source of coral... thanks Ridgeway!

IMG_2340.JPEG

IMG_2341.JPEG

IMG_2342.JPEG

and nine others. Beautiful pieces but the iPhone shots don't do them justice so I'll stop there.

Now to get going on that DSLR practice!! ;Shamefullyembarrased

eonflux123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for the construction of the two water tanks, one for fresh saltwater and one for RO/DI topup water...

IMG_2058.JPEG

RO/DI tank:

IMG_2069.JPEG

IMG_2070.JPEG

And the fresh saltwater tank:

IMG_2072.JPEG
This is amazing! What material are you using for the sump/tanks to seal it?! Are you melting them? Silicone? Friction?

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing! What material are you using for the sump/tanks to seal it?! Are you melting them? Silicone? Friction?

The tanks are made out of solid 19mm PVC panels glued together with PVC glue. For good measure the builder also screwed the panels together though I don't think that was necessary.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shipment had:

- 2x yellow tangs (Zebrasoma flavescens)
- 1x Kole tang (Tenochaetus strigosus)
- 1x Lawnmower blenny (Salarias fasciatus)
- 1x Sea hare (Dolabella auricularia)
- 1x Tuxedo urchin (Mespilia globulus)

So now livestock consists of:

- 3x yellow tangs (Zebrasoma flavescens)
- 1x Kole tang (Tenochaetus strigosus)
- 1x Lawnmower blenny (Salarias fasciatus)
- 1x Sea hare (Dolabella auricularia)
- 2x Tuxedo urchins (Mespilia globulus)
- 1x Coral beauty angelfish (Centropyge bispinosa)
- 1x Foxface rabbitfish (Siganus vulpinus)
- 2x Black & White Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
- 2x Blue damselfish (Chrysiptera cyanea)
- 2x Cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
- 1x large black brittle starfish (Ophiocomina nigra) that came tiny with my original live rock...
- 4x Fighting conch snails (Strombus sp)
- 7-8x Nassarius snails
- About 20-25x Trochus snails

I've never been good at using the Latin species names for fish or coral but I'm trying to learn! Many of the reefers I know rattle off the species names and I usually have no idea what they're talking about ;Wideyed ;Shamefullyembarrased ;Shamefullyembarrased :p.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back