New Symphillia Coral Bought With Recessed edges

crys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less than a week ago a lfs received a cool Symphillia. It had slight but noticeable recessed edges being sold for 299. I decided to check it out today and it was more recessed around the edges but arguably 3/4 alive. Lfs was willing to sell it for 150 with small store credit possibility if it dies.

Salinity 1.025
Po4 21ppb
Alk 9.4
Temp No higher than 79 typically less than 78

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Symphillia or has any tips or even odds of survival bets…

EB2C9CBF-32F1-4FC7-989A-16BA294C7C82.jpeg 0DB9BA00-E8B8-4405-A7A6-526D4F8E7464.jpeg

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s still quite a bit of money for a possibly dead on arrival(delayed). I’d try to get full credit back if it does die within say a week at least .

OP
OP
crys

crys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s still quite a bit of money for a possibly dead on arrival(delayed). I’d try to get full credit back if it does die within say a week at least .
100%, figured if it survives it would scratch my itch for an open brain coral which usually runs 200+ minimum for a ‘nice’ one.

In hindsight I could’ve negotiated store credit a bit more.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have paid $50 or walked and waited. Most probably going to be a long road if it makes it at all. Hard to say. I made this mistake with a regal angel once though and it didn’t end well.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less than a week ago a lfs received a cool Symphillia. It had slight but noticeable recessed edges being sold for 299. I decided to check it out today and it was more recessed around the edges but arguably 3/4 alive. Lfs was willing to sell it for 150 with small store credit possibility if it dies.

Salinity 1.025
Po4 21ppb
Alk 9.4
Temp No higher than 79 typically less than 78

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Symphillia or has any tips or even odds of survival bets…

EB2C9CBF-32F1-4FC7-989A-16BA294C7C82.jpeg 0DB9BA00-E8B8-4405-A7A6-526D4F8E7464.jpeg
I would put in a nice shady spot, mild flow. Check it after lights out, to see if its trying to feed (which may take a while).

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably recessed because someone cut the colony in half, right down the middle

It will be a nice coral if it survives. Watch at night for feeding tentacles and feed 2x a week. Soaking food in Brightwell Restor could help, it helps heal coral tissue damaged from fragging

OP
OP
crys

crys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have paid $50 or walked and waited. Most probably going to be a long road if it makes it at all. Hard to say. I made this mistake with a regal angel once though and it didn’t end well.
Man, I was literally thinking of asking for 50 first but thought the owner would chuckle at that price. I didn’t want to lowball cause he couldve kept it and hope for the best too.

Technically 110 if it dies with 40 store credit or 150 if he survives. Fingers crossed.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s tough with such slow growing corals to see results.

I agree and would put it in a shaded area. I have a spot set up with an overhanging ledge in my system. So I let half the coral get the shade and the other half be exposed to more light. This usually works for whatever reason. Then u can judge if it wants less light or the latter.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably recessed because someone cut the colony in half, right down the middle

It will be a nice coral if it survives. Watch at night for feeding tentacles and feed 2x a week. Soaking food in Brightwell Restor could help, it helps heal coral tissue damaged from fragging
To add to this: once you see feeding tentacles, I'd be feeding chunkier foods, like mysis, not powdered food.

OP
OP
crys

crys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put in a nice shady spot, mild flow. Check it after lights out, to see if its trying to feed (which may take a while).
It’s tough with such slow growing corals to see results.

I agree and would put it in a shaded area. I have a spot set up with an overhanging ledge in my system. So I let half the coral get the shade and the other half be exposed to more light. This usually works for whatever reason. Then u can judge if it wants less light or the latter.
Appreciate the advice, I just carefully moved it to underneath a cave. From birds eye view the cut side is hidden and the section with colour is peeking out. Do you guys thinks putting more money into the gamble by getting brightwell restor would be smart?

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the advice, I just carefully moved it to underneath a cave. From birds eye view the cut side is hidden and the section with colour is peeking out. Do you guys thinks putting more money into the gamble by getting brightwell restor would be smart?
Don’t mess with it. Time will tell. Just try to keep it fed lightly and see how it reacts.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest leaving it just how you moved it, you don’t want algae growing in that cut side. I would get
Restor and soak mysis in it for feeding. It’s good to have on hand too for situations like this

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back