New system Water Maturation

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reservations about an answer here.
It's really the bacteria & microbes that have to "get up to speed".
Real Live Rock has been shown to make a noticeable difference.
Even then it takes time for a tank to mature.
Now I don't know if anyone can really do this but BRS claims the new tank set up done FAST with all corals placed @ the same time is doing exceptionally well.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally between 6 to 12 months. Assuming you let it run its course and keep up with reasonable amount of nutrient and minimize artificial controls designed "kill", sterilize, or otherwise reduce the "pro life" growth conditions. Such as UV, chemiclean, gfo, or other chemicals, etc..

Some tanks never truly mature and instead completely relies on artificial controls to avoid tank crash.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by mature? If you're talking about how long it takes to get your nitrification biofilter working (or cycling your tank), the answer depends on the method you're using---but it can be done instantly with the right products and setup. If you're talking about when your whole system is pretty stable, that typically means when the ecosystem you've been building has reached a kind of equilibrium. All the organisms (large and microscopic), water chemistry, equipment, maintenance routines, etc. have settled into a stable groove. The time for that will vary widely based on all those factors, but most would say it's after your tank has gotten past the "ugly stage(s)". For most, that's usually in the 3-6 month time frame.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it ever stops maturing. My ugly phase lasted about a year though.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it ever stops maturing.
I agree with this statement its a constant evaluation of maturity. Just gotta make sure the tank doesn't have weird/ bad fazes. Like a skilled parent.

Back