New T5

edwing206

Visca el Barça!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to upgrade my lighing from 110 watts of PC to 96 watts of T5 HO but can only get one retro kit right now. So i was wondering how 24 watts of T5 compares to 110 watts of PC. would it provide enough light to sustain my corals for a while? oh and for corals i have some palys zoas pipe organ shrooms and an anemone. thanks

Last edited:

dc_909

Zoanthid Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get the T5 and put it on the tank while leaving 1 PC bulb on there also? Then just switch out the remaing PC when you have more money.

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reflectors I seen were icecap individual reflectors and then one of those all in one units with one big reflector. (I think it was a nova? or something like that) I've heard good things about the tek5 setups from sunlight supply. But really have no first hand experience with them.

the problem with the tek fixtures is there is no cooling of the bulbs in the system

you will have hogh par and than aboout 15 to 20 mins later your par drops about 20-30% because of the bulbs being hot

OP
OP
edwing206

edwing206

Visca el Barça!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might actually get the fixture now because it will save time (don't have to build canopy). So what if I blew 2 small computer fans on it? would that be good enough to keep the heat down and PAR up? thanks

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem with the tek fixtures is there is no cooling of the bulbs in the system

you will have hogh par and than aboout 15 to 20 mins later your par drops about 20-30% because of the bulbs being hot

But the T5's run at a cooler temp. i thought? I dont think you NEED a fan to keep temps down.

JMO Steve

archer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooling fans

I am currently running 7 60" T-5s being overdriven on Ice Cap ballasts. The bulbs are hot but you can touch them and not get burnt. It is my understanding that you will prolong bulb life and increase PAR if you put a cooling fan blowing length wise on the bulbs.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back