New Tank - 40 Gallon Breeder - Please look over

DWick180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am newer to the hobby. I used to have a 29G Saltwater tank about 10 years ago and am confident that I've forgotten everything but remember really enjoying it. I made the decision to jump back in.

I was going to start with a 55G tank but was talked out of that by the worker at my LFS, saying I should go either smaller (40B) or larger (75G) due to the thin dimensions of the 55G. I made the decision to go smaller with a 40B and can always upgrade years down the road. I've also decided to go sump-less.

I'm hoping somebody can look over my plans and let me know if I'm messing up anything. Also, any general advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking to keep several fish along with corals and at least 1 anemone.

Tank - 40 Gallon Breeder
Stand - Purchased a 55G tank stand from Petsmart, but will appreciate the extra space around the side of the tank
Tank Background - Just getting some black static cling background
Light - 2x AI Prime 16 HD LED Reef Light
Live Sand - 40 lbs CaribSea Special Grade Arag-Alive! Reef Sand
Live Rock - ~40 lbs. of Real Reef Rock (bought dry and will use the 'One and Only' bacteria on it)
Heater - BRS 200W Titanium Aquarium Heater System (My room runs a little colder in the winter so rounded up to 200W)
Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB Protein Skimmer

I'll be getting the RODI Water, Salt, Food from my LFS
I'll also be getting a basic refractometer, thermometer, API Saltwater Test Kit, net, and gravel vacuum/water siphon from amazon.

One question I did have is will I need a filter in addition to my protein skimmer? If so, does anybody have any recommendations?

Does anybody see anything missing, think a different product would work better, or do you feel I am on the right track?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine. You need some flow pumps. I like the AI Nero 3's for a 40B. I don't think you need another filter. Isn't a 55g stand for a 12" wide tank? 40B is 18" wide.

skookum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my 40g breeder build over the weekend.
I drilled and got the eshopps overflow box medium, spilling into a 20g sump.

Took me about 3 hours to drill the cabinet and do the plumbing. I missed an o ring on the overflow and had a very subtle leak, I since found the ring and all is dry!!

The aquarium dude sold me on a variable speed pump, at first I opened the box and thought it was way too techie for what I wanted but it was nice balancing the pump and the gate valve to get quiet high flow.

I have the main haul being delivered tomorrow. I went with 160Kessils x2, buba skimmer and an aqueous 200w pump. I figure I’ll relegate the kessils to a future quarantine and refugium . But they’ll be enough for some softies while I condition the tank for SPS.

Ill be

Picking up sand and live rock this weekend!!

Attachments

• CA406EEE-3441-4B52-8CDD-342FE6BF6E3E.jpeg
    CA406EEE-3441-4B52-8CDD-342FE6BF6E3E.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 45

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my 40g breeder build over the weekend.
I drilled and got the eshopps overflow box medium, spilling into a 20g sump.

Took me about 3 hours to drill the cabinet and do the plumbing. I missed an o ring on the overflow and had a very subtle leak, I since found the ring and all is dry!!

The aquarium dude sold me on a variable speed pump, at first I opened the box and thought it was way too techie for what I wanted but it was nice balancing the pump and the gate valve to get quiet high flow.

I have the main haul being delivered tomorrow. I went with 160Kessils x2, buba skimmer and an aqueous 200w pump. I figure I’ll relegate the kessils to a future quarantine and refugium . But they’ll be enough for some softies while I condition the tank for SPS.

Ill be

Picking up sand and live rock this weekend!!
This would be a good opportunity to start your own build thread.

You might also like to introduce yourself.

Welcome to Reef2Reef.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you already purchased the skimmer? if not, I would go with an Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 over the RO skimmer.

The Aquamaxx has a better, more powerful pump (11w vs 9w), that flows more water so it will skim more water than the RO. I've also found that Aquamaxx build quality seems better than RO. Everything is internal in the HOB 1.5, so less chances of any leak too. The RO has external pump and more fittings that could potentially leak. Not to mention, the HOB 1.5 is cheaper.

Also I'd skip the API test kit. After you cycle the tank, you won't use it and will want the better kits. Save your money and just get the better kits.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back