New tank advice

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up this waterbox marine x 110.4
Started building a scape from dry rock (some Carib sea some aquaforest for the overhangs because it’s lite.
Last Sunday I poured live sand added bacteria and 4 green chromis
On Wednesday I added 5 anthias and everything seems to be fine.
hiw long should I wait to turn the lights and the skimmer on?
I have another tank packed with corals how long should I wait to transfer ?

I’ll post pics of both tanks

10DB7C2D-00A2-46A9-9B49-585DCFBA43A9.png 35E7EF60-B3FA-4A8B-B732-6970D6A7C32D.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is not cycled yet?
You need to slow down. You are going to need an ammonia guard some sort if this tank is not cycled.

I don't understand why you didn't put the fish in the other tank if it's already cycled then you can do a fishless cycle on the new tank. Once it was all cycle then transfer everything over.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to slow down. You are going to need an ammonia guard some sort if this tank is not cycled.

I don't understand why you didn't put the fish in the other tank if it's already cycled then you can do a fishless cycle on the new tank. Once it was all cycle then transfer everything over.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But I’d didn’t add ammonia it’s a cycle with fish

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I get that. But you chose some fish that are not very Hardy for a fish cycle. The anthias are very sensitive. Also, fish Cycles are frowned upon these days. You're adding a lot of harm to the fish to their gills with the ammonia build up. All fish are going to add ammonia to the tank regardless how you cycle it. I just don't think you're going to have many survivors when your cycle is done.
Is there any way I put them in the other tank?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am confused. To load that mini fish into a tank that is brand new makes little sense when the mature tank photo Appears to be free of fish. I don’t think the Ansias are going to make it very long unless you have them over to the other tank.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anthias are probably not going to do very well in long term. They can be hard under idea conditions. I’m not sure on the gallon size of that tank. But I imagine probably 70 to 80 gallons. It will take some time for the ammonia to build up and affect the fish. You need to have a plan for that like water ready to make a change or something to take care of the ammonia.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I get that. But you chose some fish that are not very Hardy for a fish cycle. The anthias are very sensitive. Also, fish Cycles are frowned upon these days. You're adding a lot of harm to the fish to their gills with the ammonia build up. All fish are going to add ammonia to the tank regardless how you cycle it. I just don't think you're going to have many survivors when your cycle is done.
Is there any way I put them in the other tank?
I’ve got bottles of bacteria to keep the ammonia in check I’m testing daily and is fine. Sound a bit peta to me like fish cycles being “frowned upon” lol

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anthias are probably not going to do very well in long term. They can be hard under idea conditions. I’m not sure on the gallon size of that tank. But I imagine probably 70 to 80 gallons. It will take some time for the ammonia to build up and affect the fish. You need to have a plan for that like water ready to make a change or something to take care of the ammonia.
I have water ready I could move the fish but doubt I’ll catch them now

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Bud, there is nothing PETA about people with experience providing suggestions on how best handle the husbandry of animals in your care.
It is highly unlikely those anthias will be long term survivors in an un-cycled aquarium, and if indeed you have the second tank available as a better option, I believe you will find overwhelming support for you to transition them over as quickly as you con

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back