New tank and already infested :(

avgreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, just sounds like you need some shrimp in that tank! I know it is new so not exactly ideal, but I would have just left the Aiptasia in your tank till the tank had been set up for about 2 weeks then just added in some peppermint shrimp and they will mow through them and keep your tank clean for years to come.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do not trade off ten mins of aiptasia removal for forty months of dinos/white rock. keep your live rock, case closed. above/screwdriver told you how to rid them, it works. take time time to guide and you should keep this rock. you will have to access this live rock for other tradeoff issues, such as gha coming up. you will access the rock a hundred times directly over the course of the reef if you are doing it right, gardening and directing nicely, and its all better than one round of dinos by stripping all the life back out of the tank.

im laughing at the part of trading off aip vs dinos ! . i take aip ANYYYYY DAYYYYYYY

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with aptasia, I always just went to the local feed supply store and bought syringes mixed up a kalkwasser paste and injected and coated them, works like a charm.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and leave rock in there. The aptasia- get yourself a kleini butterfly and the aptasia will be gone in days
I second this. My favorite aiptasia control by far. And one is plenty, so this is also the cheapest option

OP
OP
N

normal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again everyone!

For all the guys telling me to swap the rock, I already did swap it for live rock from another tank and has been going fine. I've went through the diatom phase and now I have a few patches of hair algae.

Amonnia and Nitrites have been zero, but I'll still wait for the month to end before I add a CUC.

In the meantime I found a new creature I hadn't seen before that I can't ID. It moves like a snail, but I can't ID it with any of the common hitchhikers on live rock.

I've attached the picture and I've managed to catch a movie as well:

IMG_3272.jpg IMG_3266.jpg

Romeo Kilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again everyone!

For all the guys telling me to swap the rock, I already did swap it for live rock from another tank and has been going fine. I've went through the diatom phase and now I have a few patches of hair algae.

Amonnia and Nitrites have been zero, but I'll still wait for the month to end before I add a CUC.

In the meantime I found a new creature I hadn't seen before that I can't ID. It moves like a snail, but I can't ID it with any of the common hitchhikers on live rock.

I've attached the picture and I've managed to catch a movie as well:

IMG_3272.jpg IMG_3266.jpg

Did you ever ID this?

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia are no big deal. Every reef tank gets them at some point and they're not too difficult to control.

On the other hand, its not clear that a dry rock tank ever achieves the kind of biological diversity found within 2 weeks in a live rock tank. You did the right thing. Don't stress the inevitable and over-rated aiptasia. Get yourself some peppermints or a Kleins and enjoy your reef :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back