New Tank Check List

Daniel Ruiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Just going through my new tank setup checklist. I have been out of the hobby for about 6 years now. I got wife approval ;Woot;Woot;Woot to buy a new tank. I'm going to start off with a fish only tank, just to establish the system and then move to a coral (SPS or LPS) tank (a year later). But, this time around I did my homework.;Bookworm;Bookworm;Bookworm So this is what I have so far;

Tank: After much debate, I landed on the Waterbox 75.2 (75gal) Platinum Series (White) over the Red Sea Reefer 250. Just gives me more water volume in the sump and the sump design is a little bit better over the Red Sea Reefer. Even though both are beautiful tanks.;Shamefullyembarrased Waterbox also comes with an electric ATO.

Lighting: :cool: After talking with a couple of people at Bulk Reef Supply and Marine Depot. I landed on the AI-(26)Hydra HD LED (White) I just need 1 for the size of the tank and L-mount

Return Pump: Current USA eFlux DC Flow Pump

Wave Pumps: Current USA eFlux Wave Complete pump kit that comes with (1) 660pgh pump and I am going to get 1 more 660pgh. To have 2 wave pumps going in the tank.

RO/DI System: For user friendly so my family can help I went with; Aquatic Life Twist-In 100 GPD 4-Stage. Easy the refills don't cost much at all.

Protein Skimmer: Reef Octopus eSence S-130 It's bran new on the market. I like the design and setup and ease of use

Dry Rock:
Liferock-Dry Live Rock by Caribsea Sea. about 40 lbs. I know it's a bit much more $$$ but I don't have to cure the dry rock.

Other than it's just salt by Red Sea, testing equipment and buckets for water.

This setup up is going to run me just under $3,000 ;Pompus and that's no fish yet ;Facepalm;Facepalm;Facepalm
Sooooo what do you guys think.

Thanks,

Dan the Reef Man ;Joyful;Joyful;Joyful

waterbox.PNG

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dan. :)

Googled the tank, very nice.

I would go with the Hydra 52 though. You're going to get a lot of shading with the 26 on that size of tank.

OP
OP
Daniel Ruiz

Daniel Ruiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the info... I might have to go that way, also it will look better since I just found out from Waterbox that the bracket of the L mount won't work since the overflow box is in the way. I can place it there, but I would lose the cover. So I need to go with HMS Multi Light Mounting Kit that mount on the side of the tank. ;)

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you plan to stock in the tank, but my opinion is you aren't going to be happy with the 660's for flow. I have a single one in each of my 20G QT tanks and they are not only smaller than I had thought they'd be, but IMO won't move enough water for you. If you are looking to have good strong flow you may want to go to the next size up on your 75G.

Jim Heenan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great start, but personally I wouldn't go with the Aquatic Life Twist-In RODI (especially if you municipal water has high TDS). I've owned one and blew through the DI cartridge in less than a month. Needless to say I purchased a BRS 4 Stage RODI (with added carbon block). Way better IMHO. Your call...

OP
OP
Daniel Ruiz

Daniel Ruiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking to have good strong flow you may want to go to the next size up on your 75G.

Well the display tank is 52gal and the sump is 23gal, I have no problem upping it up to the 1050 gph To cover the need for 1500gph at 30time of a 50gal tank

I was looking at the Maxspect XF230 but I would have to place it sideways or on the side of the tanks... and person preference I don't like seeing power cables on the side of the tank...

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good start! What do you plan on doing for media, like carbon or gfo? Bulk Reef Supply has affordable set ups.

OP
OP
Daniel Ruiz

Daniel Ruiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great start, but personally I wouldn't go with the Aquatic Life Twist-In RODI (especially if you municipal water has high TDS). I've owned one and blew through the DI cartridge in less than a month. Needless to say I purchased a BRS 4 Stage RODI (with added carbon block). Way better IMHO. Your call...
I'm really trying to keep this tank wife friendly... she doesn't want to see wires everywhere, things coming in out of the tank. The aquarium is going to her domain (the house,not my man cave), which i want too. So I'm pushing the line little by little.[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to know your impressions of the skimmer

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have given this a fair amount of thought. I find your reasoning to be sound. Of course, after you have your system, tweaks that you should have done will occur to you. That is unavoidable.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back