New tank cycle but reducing nitrates

uscakeeper

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2023
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Location
Illinois, USA
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I've cycled a few tanks but this is my first attempt doing fishless and Im really triying to focus on creating the appropriate microbiome before introducing live stock. namely getting 2ppm Ammonia/Nitrites cycled within 24 hours. I'm at about a month but I changed out a large rock for a couple pieces of dry rock better suited for my tank (and growing bacteria) and used the opportunity to increase the sand bed to about 4in with live sand. I did a massive water change here ~60% about 2 weeks ago. Ammonia has been cycling 2ppm to 0 in roughly 24 hours, Nitrites since the water change have hovered around 2ppm consistently, and nitrates have gone from 10ppm to 1-2ppm. The nitrate part is really confusing because i haven't done any additional water changes. I do have a large number of bubbles appearing against the glass in the sand bed, is that nitrogen gas from anaerobic bacteria processing nitrate? Sorry I'm setting up 32g BioCube.
 
Its was probably residual from nitrite interference or a testing error on nitrate. Either way the tank is fine and ready for fish (albeit I'd do a water change jsut for the sake of it).
 
Appreciate the response. So even without being able to bring nitrites down you think it's fish ready? What would you recommend for CUC to start. I imagine something smaller and increase as tank matures?
 
Appreciate the response. So even without being able to bring nitrites down you think it's fish ready? What would you recommend for CUC to start. I imagine something smaller and increase as tank matures?
I know it’s a super late response and I’m sorry you didn’t get much advice. How’s is the system and have you added live stock? I have about a 9 m/o nano reef so maybe I can offer some advice?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new