new Tank cycling, but no nitrites detected

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trust your calculations as I know no better. And really find it helpful too.

You can trust them behind the index finger and the thumb - they give you the answer if you end up in Scotland or Wales:D

I don’t doubt the importance of nitrifying process what I doubt though is is 2ppm process of nh4 is necessary in some cases if you go slow.
Totally agree with you here. IMO its is ridicules and only build up an imbalance of N and P that you have to pay for later - ugly stage is - IMO - the result of this way of cycling. I prefer my method in the 15 steps or use old sand, old rocks or already working foam filters and feeding very sparsely, very sparsely, very sparsely :D the first weeks and slowly rise the N load with more feeding

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the clown is not doing well. He would try to eat and then spit it back out. His poo is long clear white and stringy, and would be stuck on his butt for hours.
I'm total noob about fish disease. Is there anything I can do to help him? he's pretty skinny from not eating
Nitrite at about 0.5-1.0

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pet store fish are routinely diseased. They bring in disease to the new tank which becomes infected and affects the next group of fish added

You‘ll need to re fallow the tank and set up a healthy qt tank for fish observation as you study clown treatment options from Jays fish disease forum

make sure the main display is fallowed, every sticky in that forum discusses this requirement

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly don't know what the treatment is for that condition but Jay will have covered it well in the disease forum

The #1 top takeaway anyone gets after one hour of reading the fish disease forum stickies and a few pages of posts is that to skip initial fish disease preps is to directly invite fish disease into the system, it must be excluded from the start in these dry rock setups

No degree of cycle waiting circumvents the prep need, or the fish disease forum wouldn't need any preps beyond simple nitrite compliance. You can see from reading Randy's article on nitrite the tiny levels your tank has is neutral. A quick glance read in Jay's disease forum shows the preps needed to prevent future fish loss in your new setup. If your live rock was matured you may get away with less preps... but in reading the fish disease forum as study, do you see anyone fixing or preventing disease as a sticky just by adding fish to a matured reef? Jay runs a zoo with saltwater fish, his displays are aged. Why don't new fish just go right in anyway? Study= your next round of fish lives

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the clown is not doing well. He would try to eat and then spit it back out. His poo is long clear white and stringy, and would be stuck on his butt for hours.
I'm total noob about fish disease. Is there anything I can do to help him? he's pretty skinny from not eating
Nitrite at about 0.5-1.0
Is it darker in colour and shy? Have it stop to eat now? The white stringy poo is probably the mucus of the intestine coming out - can be cause of a infection of hexamite/Spironucleus like flagellates. Remedies with metronidazole can help in these cases - IMO

@Jay Hemdal - any comments

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it darker in colour and shy? Have it stop to eat now? The white stringy poo is probably the mucus of the intestine coming out - can be cause of a infection of hexamite/Spironucleus like flagellates. Remedies with metronidazole can help in these cases - IMO

@Jay Hemdal - any comments

Sincerely Lasse
It's not darker than normal. It tries to eat, but always spit it back out. I cut mysis and other frozen foods into tiny chunks and try to feed him. he keeps trying to eat different pieces, but end up spitting it out. During the day it's still quite active, but getting really skinny now.
For the metronidazole, should I mix it with food?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it not eat - it is difficult to mix it in food. However saltwater fish drinks and metro is fas soluble - it is possible to treat in the water. Most drugs I have used (for mostly freshwater) have a dosage for water bath on the package. It normally consume oxygen, have a good aeration. Metro also kill anaerobic bacteria so if your aquarium is a working one with a lot of other life (corals and so on) - do not treat in the the DT. I do not either know whats happen when you have nitrite in the water.

However my experiences with hexamita/Spironucleus from freshwater species show that they - with the spitting and tiny white poo also shows indication like darker colour and shy behaviour (sensitive against light) - it is not 100 % clear that it is this.

The fact that it get thinner can be from internal parasites, no food or a combination of these. however my experiences with internal parasites other than hexamita/Spironucleus is that parasites make the fish eat very much but still not gain weight.

this is as long as I can guide you - I hope that Jay will chime in - he has much more experiences than I to treat with drugs available in the US.

It is good that it eats dry food - try to use that. However - do not overfeed

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good that it eats dry food - try to use that. However - do not overfeed
Thank you. I have moved him into an acclimation box, will feed him small amount of dry flake daily and any dry flakes he doesn't finish I will scoop out with a net.
I also did a small water change last night, and nitrite is finally testing 0 today. Ammonia: 0, Nitrate 10-20

Would you have a link for the metronidazole product you use? I think I will order it to have on hand in case he still won't eat. Also setting up a small QT tank tonight in case I'll need to treat him.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I`m in Europe - I have used Waterlife octozin - I´m not sure that you can find it in the US. But I´m sure there is other very good cure even in the US . Both pure metronidazole and combination of metronidazole and praziquantel (API general cure) But i have no experiences of these.

Please - come back with updates how it works later on.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I`m in Europe - I have used Waterlife octozin - I´m not sure that you can find it in the US. But I´m sure there is other very good cure even in the US . Both pure metronidazole and combination of metronidazole and praziquantel (API general cure) But i have no experiences of these.

Please - come back with updates how it works later on.

Sincerely Lasse
I ordered these 2 products:

Thank you!

Back