New Tank Cycling with Dr. Tims - When to turn the lights on and duration, etc

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I am starting up a new 90gl reef. I am using Dry Rock and Arag-Live Sand. I am cycling with Dr. Tims, 4 days into the process. With that said, I am looking for best practices as to when I should turn on the lights. My lighting is a Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid Fixture and (2) Kessil A360X LED's. Also, with using Dry Rock, and my cycling process, will I still deal with a significant algae outbreak as part of the overall cycling process?

Any suggestions/recommendations is much appreciated.
Thanks

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some live rock! I know you have reasons for starting with dry, so did I. Here I am 2 1/2 years later and things are doing pretty well, but for 1 1/2 years I struggled. I've cycled a lot of tanks but most were back 20 years ago and live rock was how it was done. I will never start with dry rock only again, that year and a half was brutal and no fun. Maybe I could have done things different, but I went into it pretty prepared. If you are determined to use only dry, take care with your bacteria, use a lot, feed it, makes sure it doesn't starve. I hope your cycle goes smooth and happy reefkeeping!!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some live rock! I know you have reasons for starting with dry, so did I. Here I am 2 1/2 years later and things are doing pretty well, but for 1 1/2 years I struggled. I've cycled a lot of tanks but most were back 20 years ago and live rock was how it was done. I will never start with dry rock only again, that year and a half was brutal and no fun. Maybe I could have done things different, but I went into it pretty prepared. If you are determined to use only dry, take care with your bacteria, use a lot, feed it, makes sure it doesn't starve. I hope your cycle goes smooth and happy reefkeeping!!
yeah It drives me crazy, I’m also of the opinion dry rock should at least be seeded or mixed with real... Dr Tim can’t do it all

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this back up...my cycling is complete..just added 2 clowns.so....what about the lights? Do I gradually turn them on over a period of time or just go right to full 8hrs a day,etc?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your choice no harm either way, algae growths and cleaning frequency is impacted by lights, corals demand it low coral usage demands less but you can’t harm anything if they’re on too long or too short. Mine run nine hours a day, mostly all blue hue hardly any white. Least algae setup. Eventually the corals you stock will have their requirements choose any normal mixed reef schedule and begin

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back