New tank cycling

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have started my first ever Saltwater aquarium. We started cycling 3 weeks ago. Last week for the first time I noticed my Ammonia drop to zero. I knew we were getting somewhere. I have strips I'm using right now. I'm going tomorrow to see if my lfs will have a better test kit and test my water while I'm there to be sure. Today I noticed my water is turning green not bad yet still can see through it easily. Should I be concerned or just wait for it to clear during the cycle process?

Melin108

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it go away on its own as it cycles?
As far as I understand it will. Also from my research if your levels are good and your water is starting to yellow/green then carbon isn't a terrible idea. You might be on the onset of algae as well, since it's been about two weeks since your post, I'd be interested as a new tanker as well what happened?

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have started my first ever Saltwater aquarium. We started cycling 3 weeks ago. Last week for the first time I noticed my Ammonia drop to zero. I knew we were getting somewhere. I have strips I'm using right now. I'm going tomorrow to see if my lfs will have a better test kit and test my water while I'm there to be sure. Today I noticed my water is turning green not bad yet still can see through it easily. Should I be concerned or just wait for it to clear during the cycle process?
Like other said carbon should help to make the tank look clear and did you dose ammonia and bottle bacteria next would be testing nitrite after that zeros can dose more ammonia or add a couple small fish depending on size of tank

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like algae growth in the water. Are you lighting the tank or is sunlight shining on the tank? If so that might be feeding algae growth

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 151 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 52 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back