New tank decision, need help

Donseas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help making a decision. I am going to order a new tank. Measurements 60x30x25 tall. Low Iron, euro braced, external overflow, seam guards, black back, no top trim, PVC bottom.

My LFS can do Planet Aquarium They are at 4500 for the tank and 2500 for the stand( You have to use their stand or 30 day warranty). So 7k for Planet Aquarium
I called Glass Cages they are 3100 for the tank. Then I can do whatever I want for a stand. I emailed Framing Tech and can do a 6 foot stand(more room for stuff, plus the I have a 6" ledge all the way around) 1500. So tank and stand 4600.00

Which is better? Is PA worth the extra money? How are either companies tanks. I don't know anything about either. Any other suggestions. Reef Savoy was 8k just for tank.

Need Help
Thanks in Advance
Don

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass cages has greatly improved their product over time for the price go with glass cages. They do have a presence on this forum.

Out of curiosity why aren't you considering Innovative Marine EXT Series? The build quality, content received for cost, and name brand seem extremely competitive.
https://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-ext

(Or Red Sea, Waterbox)

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would go for Glass Cages, They are great and have great reviews over the past couple of years. Resonable prices and from what I've heard lately PA is backed up and on like a 12 week lead time.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass Cages can make the stand also.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity why aren't you considering the Innovative Marine EXT Series?

Those are good tanks, but honestly a step behind Glass Cages/Planet Aquariums/Reef Savvy because of what he wants. Armored seams, euro brace, etc. Those are options only a custom aquarium business is going to do. Red Sea, Waterbox, Cade, IM aren't going to do those. Those are more just mass produced setups. I know I have a Cade, and have had 2 waterboxes. I'm happy with my Cade but wish I would have went custom like OP is doing.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are good tanks, but honestly a step behind Glass Cages/Planet Aquariums/Reef Savvy because of what he wants. Armored seams, euro brace, etc. Those are options only a custom aquarium business is going to do. Red Sea, Waterbox, Cade, IM aren't going to do those. Those are more just mass produced setups. I know I have a Cade, and have had 2 waterboxes. I'm happy with my Cade but wish I would have went custom like OP is doing.
EXT is Eurobraced and IM uses thicker glass than many and their stands arent matched by any other tank manufacturer at their price point.

The EXT 170 comes darn close to the dimensions that @Donseas is looking for.

I haven't had CADE. I've had Red Sea and waterbox. I like the polish of waterbox and the sumps on Red Sea but don't care for things like the stands over flow style on either.

To be fair out of the two OP listed I like glass cages by a long shot for custom built tanks and if I needed precise dimensions I'd probably go with them but I find the mark up for custom puts the tank above my means or rather the extra cost I'd rather spend on live stock and hardware.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EXT is Eurobraced and IM uses thicker glass than many and their stands arent matched by any other tank manufacturer at their price point.

I haven't had CADE. I've had Red Sea and waterbox. I like the polish of waterbox and the sumps on Red Sea but don't care for things like the stands over flow style on either.

To be fair out of the two OP listed I like glass cages by a long shot for custom built tanks and if I needed precise dimensions I'd probably go with them but I find the mark up for custom puts the tank above my means or rather the extra cost I'd rather spend on live stock and hardware.
Fair enough, same on the Waterbox and Red Sea, I've had them both and while I liked the tanks, I hated the stands/sumps. Everytime I've wished for custom on the sumps and stands.

As far as the mark up. Its worth it. I'd buy a Reef Savvy in a heartbeat, its my ultimate dream tank, but I'll never have it, cause it isn't the price that drives me away, its the wait. Not waiting 18 months for a tank. I have no idea where I'll even be in 18 months, same reason I won't pay for a cruise a year ahead of time lol. Lot can happen in life in that amount of time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back