New Tank - Fish Add Order and Recommendations

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am back into the hobby after a 10yr hiatus. I have a 90gl with 30gl sump. My reef tank is cycled and I have a pair of Clowns in it for 3 weeks. I read somewhere a recommendation on the first 5 fish to go into a tank but cannot locate the thread.

I was wondering what you would recommend. My tank is in the Diatoms stage at the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just monitor parameters for another few days! If your phosphates or nitrates are high, that could be causing the diatom outbreak. A water change and blackout would help, and do the blackout if the diatoms get worse BEFORE you add any corals! I learned the hard way with that. Also, adding a few more fish to the system wouldnt hurt. If the ammonia cycle is complete, you should see a spike in phosphates and nitrates as opposed to a spike in ammonia. If that is the case, Water changes are your friend. Perhaps consider a chaeto reactor or refugium to start exporting the nutrients.

Edit: a uv sterilizer will ultimately help with any nuisance algae outbreak. For some it is an endgame solution. For some it's just a piece of the puzzle.

Second edit: I'm a big fan of scopas tangs. That would be a fantastic addition to a 90g that would be a forever home.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Utilitarian fish can be great for the tank while adding loads of visual appeal.
If it were me, I might consider:
1. One of the smaller bristle tooth tangs for algae control. I love my yellow eye kole.
2. A wrasse for pest management. I have a melanaurus wrasse that keeps bristle worms pretty much non-existent in the display.
3. Maybe a sand sifting gobie for the substrate. These guys are fun to watch.
4. One of the more active blennies just cause they are sooo cool. My midas blennie is probably the most attentive fish in the tank.

Just a few thoughts.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back