New tank...high calcium, low alkalinity

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this hobby, and am slowly learning all I can about running a successful Nano Reef. I have a 32 gallon biocube that has been up for two months....It was originally stocked with live rock/sand from my daughters existing 75 gallon. She also recently gifted me a Hanna Alkalinity and Calcium tester.....So, yesterday, I tested my Alkalinity and Calcium....and got these results: Alkalinity 5.8 and Calcium 521. From everything I'm reading, that Alkalinity is WAY too low. I don't have a lot of corals in my tank right now....Just two small zoa frags. I use IO Reef Crystals as my salt and do weekly water changes of 5 gallons.

Other tank inhabitants: 2 clowns, 1 fire shrimp, BTA, and an assorted CUC.

I do want to eventually add more corals, so how do I safely raise the alkalinity and lower the calcium? I used the online calculator, but I was a little confused if the amount I needed to dose was a daily dose...or weekly? I really just need specific instructions.

I don't have a doser.....I'm currently auto topping off by hand a couple times a day.

Any help is appreciated.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id re-test again using a different test kit as RC has a high ALK in general, and same goes for Cal. I'd get some Salifert test kits as they are easy to use and then you can validate those numbers with your Hanna checkers.

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id re-test again using a different test kit as RC has a high ALK in general, and same goes for Cal. I'd get some Salifert test kits as they are easy to use and then you can validate those numbers with your Hanna checkers.
You were correct. I retested with Salifert, and my parameters were well within the normal range. Now I'm wondering why the Hanna were so far off?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your vials are clean with no buildup. They also might be oit of calibration which you could contact hanna and see what they charge to recalibrate.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back