1 dragonite

2 cherry shrimp

1 polyp

1 zoa

1 emerald crab

Both convict tang and hippo died

3 cardinals died

1 clown died

I have bubble algae tank is 2 months old.

Wanted to know if maybe they just died since all my fish are online ordered and maybe they just couldn’t take the stress they died a week later. One per day ish until I have what’s left now.

Bubble tips seem fine tight mouth but the big one does blow up the tips like the smaller one does? Is it my lighting?

Do you feel like I’m ready to replace my tangs etc. should I just let the tank mature for a couple more months.

The bubble algae/dinos? seems to be manageable with water changes 20% per week. Plus syphon

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Did I miss what size your tank is? How did you start your tank (live rock, dry rock, "fishless cycle" method, etc.) Did you add all those fish and corals to a tank that's only been running for two months?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 fish in 2 months is very fast, would suggest to go a lot slower. Give the system time to adjust. That is too many losses in too short a time, half the fish you added died, that’s not a good record.

Above are good questions, need more info, but definitely need to go slower.

OP
OP
T

thurstonl041

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
165g system 135g display

I used fishless cycle- dry rock with live sand. Added fish when everything zeroed out.

Ph is 8.9 as well

OP
OP
T

thurstonl041

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters are completely messed up. Your lights are completely wrong spectrum. You crammed to many fish into a new tank to fast. I'm sure the fish were not QT so you most likely have disease in your tank now killing off your fish

Your parameters are completely messed up. Your lights are completely wrong spectrum. You crammed to many fish into a new tank to fast. I'm sure the fish were not QT so you most likely have disease in your tank now killing off your fish.
wonderful, why don’t you tell me what my lights and parameters should be then?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wonderful, why don’t you tell me what my lights and parameters should be then?
This is an easy hobby to research and as you do it helps improve your knowledge of the hobby and will give you a greater chance of success versus failure. Its not hard to Google proper parameters for a reef tank or proper lighting spectrum for a reef tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that many fish id expect to see some nitrates. Just slow down and let things settle for a couple months. Anemones will struggle in a new tank as well.
Almost all his fish have died except his dragonet, clown and rabbit fish per his first post and we know what will happen to a dragonet in a new tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thats a list of dead fish?! Oh man, let that tank just marinate for a few months to get cycled
Unless he replaced the dead ones. He lists 6 dead fish but shows 7 fish above that maybe im reading his post wrong and 6 out of 13 have died. But you are correct should see nitrates if the tank is cycling properly.

OP
OP
T

thurstonl041

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thats a list of dead fish?! Oh man, let that tank just marinate for a few months to get cycled
That was my plan since everyone else is doing perfectly fine it was just weird there was no signs of struggle on the fish they just randomly kicked it. But everything and everyone is doing great my anemones are growing fast and the corals are doing fine. So I don’t know loookign for solutions from veterans in here.

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph looks high. Nutrients appear to be bottomed out which could cause things like dinos to appear. Alk is also low.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you don’t know the correct parameters you’re just talking? I’ve had fresh water before and didn’t have these issues. I have 0 nitrate and .02 ammonia. It’s cycles I went from 10 to 0 nitrate and I was told it’s the Dino’s. Since it’s still considered new. But that’s why I’m here for solutions not to tell me what I already know which is something is wrong lol
Might want to think about toning it down a bit if you expect to get assistance with your problem. I'm not certain that you intended to sound like a jerk with your response - but that's how I read it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
165g system 135g display

I used fishless cycle- dry rock with live sand. Added fish when everything zeroed out.

Ph is 8.9 as well

Hey there and welcome to R2R! We're here to help!

Would you mind posting a photo of your tank? Are you able to do that? @ReefSquad #reefsquad

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 fish in 2 months is very fast, would suggest to go a lot slower. Give the system time to adjust. That is too many losses in too short a time, half the fish you added died, that’s not a good record.

Above are good questions, need more info, but definitely need to go slower.

Your parameters are completely messed up. Your lights are completely wrong spectrum. You crammed to many fish into a new tank to fast. I'm sure the fish were not QT so you most likely have disease in your tank now killing off your fish.

This is an easy hobby to research and as you do it helps improve your knowledge of the hobby and will give you a greater chance of success versus failure. Its not hard to Google proper parameters for a reef tank or proper lighting spectrum for a reef tank.

With that many fish id expect to see some nitrates. Just slow down and let things settle for a couple months. Anemones will struggle in a new tank as well.

Almost all his fish have died except his dragonet, clown and rabbit fish per his first post and we know what will happen to a dragonet in a new tank.

This times 1,000. Waaaaaay too much fish for a new tank...it's like holy crap wow too many fish.

Just chill and let tank run its course for at least 3 months.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back