New tank issues

Green22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boyfriend and I are new to the saltwater life. We set up our 13.5 gallon tank almost 4 weeks ago; dry rock, live sand. After having the water checked on Sunday 1/24, the guy we've been working closely with at our LFS said our levels were good (all 0) and suggested we add a pair of clownfish. We were so excited to finally have something to look at besides sand & rock!

By Monday morning (about 12 hours after we put the fish in) they were both covered in white spots. About two hours later, the spots were gone, but they were swimming weird & one was breathing hard. I called our LFS & they said it sounded like ICH, so I went & picked up some medication (the guy working recommended imagitarium parasite remedy). By the time I got home, one of the fish laying in the bottom of the tank, only moving his fins. Within an hour, he died. We called the LFS & spoke with the guy we've been working with & instructed me to bring in another water sample (all the levels were at 0 except the ammonia, which he said was a little elevated, likely from the fish dying.) He said the ICH likely came from the sand, & recommended I buy API's Melafix to treat in addition to the other medication. The remaining fish seemed to be getting better throughout the night, however he hadn't eaten since Sunday night.

Today, the remaining fish is looking like the first one did before it passed (laying in sand, breathing hard, unable to swim) & he's veery pale. Things are not looking good. We bought an at home test kit & todays levels are as follows: Ammonia 0, GH 180, KH 120, pH 8, Nitrate/Nitrite 0. We also bought a biological booster, but we haven't added it yet.

We are confused & disheartened. Where did we go wrong & where do we go from here? PLEASE HELP!! tempImageCWMjwg.png tempImagejFhiQw.png tempImagekJ2uZU.png

Attachments

• Video.MOV
    33.5 MB

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thoughts are - find a new guy for fish advice. "ICH coming from sand?" - There are dozens of members on R2R from your area any many will pipe in, I'm sure. The only thing you did wrong was listen to some guys' bad advice. Back up take a breath, things will work out. We've ALL been in a similar situation, but you've come to the right place to help you navigate "The Opinionette" (internet advice)
Research some more info on testing, and TAKE your time - you'll hear this a bezillion times here - Nothing Happens Fast in a Reef Tank - if it does there's something extremely wrong. (following)

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish came from the LFS with either velvet or ick.
The tank is new and cycled and has not seen fish so no possibility it came from your tank.

I’d be talking to LFS, where talking about 12 hours which makes me think velvet, as it directly attacks the gills and is lethal in say 48hrs. Ick is much more slower and in some cases, fish can survive.

Copper treatment for fish in QT (detail in disease section)
DT must be fallow for 70ish days. (detail in disease section)

Fish should be treated with copper before going to DT.

Sorry for your loss, I can’t say I have not done the exact same thing.

Some LFS do not always provide the best solutions.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with others, would look for another lfs.
How was the tank cycled and also what's the tank temp and salinity? Ich will exhibit itself when fish are stressed and did not come from the sand.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you cycle the tank when you first started the system on week 1?

Sounds like you were sold unhealthy fish.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back