Our urchin seems to be unwell

newtothesaltlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.. we are fairly new to this (had our tank for a bit more than 6 months now). Yesterday, we found our urchin on the sand upside down, so I did a quick Google search and found that someone recommended to flip him back over, so we did and he went on his merry way. Today, I found him once again upside down on the sand, and this time, 8 of his spines/legs (?) had fallen off. Up until this weekend, he has been quite active on the rocks and the glass (can't recall ever seeing him on the sand), and we've had him for at least 3 months. For reference, I've attached a picture of him to this post; he's looking a little droopy imo. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. My husband had a saltwater tank years ago, but he didn't have an urchin, so we are flying a little blind here. Thanks in advance!

IMG_2146.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and sorry for your trouble!

Dropping spines isn't a good sign. From the pic, it doesn't look there's much food for your urchin in the tank - I'd try putting some algae wafers/pellets in the tank next to/under it and rubberband-ing some nori to a rock for it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone.. we are fairly new to this (had our tank for a bit more than 6 months now). Yesterday, we found our urchin on the sand upside down, so I did a quick Google search and found that someone recommended to flip him back over, so we did and he went on his merry way. Today, I found him once again upside down on the sand, and this time, 8 of his spines/legs (?) had fallen off. Up until this weekend, he has been quite active on the rocks and the glass (can't recall ever seeing him on the sand), and we've had him for at least 3 months. For reference, I've attached a picture of him to this post; he's looking a little droopy imo. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. My husband had a saltwater tank years ago, but he didn't have an urchin, so we are flying a little blind here. Thanks in advance!

IMG_2146.jpg
Age of tank is a huge factor as you will get small spike of ammonia and nitrate which they do not handle well.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it eating? They need film algae to graze. Coralline is fine too.

Put some nori in there with a rock on it or wedged between some rocks and set it on top of the nori sheet. Once they start to drop spines, this is not good, but there is a chance still.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back