Sea urchin help

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Halloween urchin in my display for about 2 months, and as a whole so far so good up until now (a few scares with initial acclimation and spawning, occasionally upside down)... but what concerns me now is the anus is protruded, and it has dropped a few spines. What does this mean, and should I be concerned?

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's now on the glass but not moving much and tube feet are mostly retracted.. has a protruding mouth as well.

My other pincushion urchin is lively and not showing any signs like the Halloween in question

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic, see how it's bulged at the center

PXL_20240310_172629742.jpg PXL_20240310_172917591.jpg

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The protrusions are odd; between those and the dropping spines, I'd guess it's dying, but I'm not sure from what.

Starvation is my usual suspect with urchins, but I wouldn't expect protrusions to accompany that.
What would cause the protrusions?

And there's plenty to eat, lots of GHA that it's regularly been mowing down up until now :(

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's lost a fair amount of spines but it's still moving around and acting appropriately to stimuli.. but not eating/grazing despite trying some nori..

What would be the best course of action now?
Should I do a water change or just see if it turns around?
Pull it out of the tank and euthanize? :(

Any other ideas? I'm open to suggestions and would like to keep the urchin if possible!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would cause the protrusions?
Unfortunately, I'm not sure.
It's lost a fair amount of spines but it's still moving around and acting appropriately to stimuli.. but not eating/grazing despite trying some nori..

What would be the best course of action now?
Should I do a water change or just see if it turns around?
Pull it out of the tank and euthanize? :(

Any other ideas? I'm open to suggestions and would like to keep the urchin if possible!
I'm honestly not sure here either - sorry.

Maybe someone will know what to do here to help. @Jay Hemdal - I know it's not a fish, but any thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropping spines is of course a sign of stress in urchins. I’m not sure about the swelling - I’ve seen urchins do that with no apparent issues.
I would do a water change, as that is really the only variable you can manage.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropping spines is of course a sign of stress in urchins. I’m not sure about the swelling - I’ve seen urchins do that with no apparent issues.
I would do a water change, as that is really the only variable you can manage.
Thank you for the response! What % would you recommend.. as I don't want to do too large that might stress it even more so..

Anything you'd recommend food wise or should I not bother? There's plenty of GHA in the tank..

Checking the urchin now.. it hasn't moved much since this morning.. not seeing many new spines that have dropped though!

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response! What % would you recommend.. as I don't want to do too large that might stress it even more so..

Anything you'd recommend food wise or should I not bother? There's plenty of GHA in the tank..

Checking the urchin now.. it hasn't moved much since this morning.. not seeing many new spines that have dropped though!
If you match the salinity exactly between the tank and the new water, changing a third would be fine.
One issue - if you stop seeing spine movement, the urchin is possibly dead and needs to be removed so that it doesn’t foul the water.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any concerns with feeding garlic extract algae sheets?

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Halloween urchin in my display for about 2 months, and as a whole so far so good up until now (a few scares with initial acclimation and spawning, occasionally upside down)... but what concerns me now is the anus is protruded, and it has dropped a few spines. What does this mean, and should I be concerned?
Hard to sustain this creature long term, overtime, they usually starve. They eat just too much too fast.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to sustain this creature long term, overtime, they usually starve. They eat just too much too fast.
Luckily I have plenty of GHA in the tank for it to eat right now and will consider supplementing as the tank cleans up, thanks!

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point it's lost almost all it's spines and it's not moving much.. am I just delaying the inevitable or can it recover?

bkwonnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same when i added more than 1 urchin. I would also say underfed, they can be picky eaters

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back