OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same when i added more than 1 urchin. I would also say underfed, they can be picky eaters
It's just frustrating because up until recently it was eating just fine and there's plenty of GHA for it to eat still.. weird the other one is just fine.

At this point should I cut my losses or see if it can pull through?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point it's lost almost all it's spines and it's not moving much.. am I just delaying the inevitable or can it recover?
Sorry, I think it’s done for. I’d remove it and put it in the freezer and then dispose of it.

krollins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure, but there is a disease that has decimated the long spine urchin population called Philaster apodigitiformis. Symptoms include a loss of spines, excess mucus on their spines, reduced spine mobility, or they may lose their ability to attach to objects. This sounds similar to what is happening. I am not sure if it can happen to hallowen urchins though.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure, but there is a disease that has decimated the long spine urchin population called Philaster apodigitiformis. Symptoms include a loss of spines, excess mucus on their spines, reduced spine mobility, or they may lose their ability to attach to objects. This sounds similar to what is happening. I am not sure if it can happen to hallowen urchins though.
I read about that too! But as you said, not sure if that can affect other species of urchins

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I think it’s done for. I’d remove it and put it in the freezer and then dispose of it.
Thank you for the advice, I put it in the freezer Thurs night. Hated to do it but like you said, I'm sure it was inevitable, and of course for the sake of the health of the whole tank..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back