New tank, need ideas

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting up a new tank soon. It's a 30g rimless from JBJ. I really have no idea where to begin. So I'm seeking some input. I have another tank, I'm not new to reefing, and I have a fairly good grasp of what I'm doing.
What I don't have is a complete vision. I'd like to have a dwarf angel and perhaps keep it a mated pair of angels. However, I feel that maybe 30g is on the cusp of being small. I'd have to get them as a mated pair to start so that there isn't any issues to begin. I've not seen many mated angels come along.

I'd perhaps like it to be a goni/alveapora tank.

Perhaps I'd like to do seahorses. Years ago, I kept pygmy seahorses and that didn't last very long.

I don't really know what I want to do. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think 30 is going to be a bit small for a mated pair of angels, you could do a anglerfish predator tank or maybe an acan only tank

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about an angler. I'm not terribly fond of the idea though. It's one of those, eh, that's a cool idea, and then it moves on. I thought about an acan tank. But then if I do that, I'm limited to the fish. The fish is the reason I got into saltwater to begin all those years ago. Corals have never really interested me much to be honest. It keeps the wife from asking questions though. Because all she sees is bright and pretty colors.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm what about doing a pipefish tank? There are some that have really great color and they would be kind of like doing a seahorse tank.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the goni idea you could even toss in some nice clowns they will probably host the gonis, you could also add a pistol shrimp and watchmen goby those are great to watch two. since the tank is on the smaller side your choices of fish are pretty limited i know thats what you really want to get into but I'm sure you'll find a happy medium!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always move your other tank's occupants to the 30g and then use it for the dwarf angels.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm what about doing a pipefish tank? There are some that have really great color and they would be kind of like doing a seahorse tank.

I've never had pipefish. I could do that and the goni/alveapora idea together.
i like the goni idea you could even toss in some nice clowns they will probably host the gonis, you could also add a pistol shrimp and watchmen goby those are great to watch two. since the tank is on the smaller side your choices of fish are pretty limited i know thats what you really want to get into but I'm sure you'll find a happy medium!
Clowns are over done. Their time has come and gone. I have thought about gobies. But I've had those and to me they just don't have that awe they once did. Angels have been about the only fish to continue to keep my interest.
You could always move your other tank's occupants to the 30g and then use it for the dwarf angels.
I thought about that as well. However, my issue is the big honkin' rock that resides in the 40g. There wouldn't be any room for anything else in the 30 :p

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back