New Tank New Fish Help

Angry German

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting up a 180gal 6ft long tank in the next month. Around 120 lbs live rock and will have some leathers, zoas and mushrooms
So I need know which fish to add in what order. I would like the following, in what order should I add and do you think they are compatible?

1. humuhumunukunukuapua'a
2. niger trigger
3. Snowflake eel
4.Majestic Angel
5. Blueface Angel
6. Kole Tang
7. Orange Shoulder Tang?
8. Maybe a few small Azure Damsels?
9. Maybe Dogface puffer?

Thoughts?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting up a 180gal 6ft long tank in the next month. Around 120 lbs live rock and will have some leathers, zoas and mushrooms
So I need know which fish to add in what order. I would like the following, in what order should I add and do you think they are compatible?

1. humuhumunukunukuapua'a
2. niger trigger
3. Snowflake eel
4.Majestic Angel
5. Blueface Angel
6. Kole Tang
7. Orange Shoulder Tang?
8. Maybe a few small Azure Damsels?
9. Maybe Dogface puffer?

Thoughts?
Welcome to the fishy family!! Always happy to see another mate from the sunshine state. You have a pretty aggressive list. Some territorial folks there. I won't speak on the fish I don't have experience with but Tangs are best introduced together, so noone stakes turf. I don't know if that applies to everyone on the list. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there ... sounds like a great project.

My first reaction is to ask a million questions about the details of the build, how you are going to cycle the tank, and how quickly you are going to try and put all this stuff in ... but I'll take for granted you've already thought all that through.

With respect to your stocking plan, here are some thoughts:

1) I like to start with a small school of Damsels ... I think the Azure Damsels are a great choice as they will help you cement your cycle. Once you are sure the tank is ready, then move on to the next fish

2) Then I'd move on the the Tangs and add them all at the same time to avoid conflict. Adding them early will help you keep the inevitable algae under control. You could also add the puffer at this stage.

3) I would not advise adding Triggers with the corals ... I have not kept them myself, but I've always understood them to be very difficult to keep with sessile inverts

4) I love your selection of Angelfish, but I don't think you can have BOTH in the same tank. The Blueface angel in particular should be kept as the only angelfish in the tank. Also, the Blueface will get BIG and eventually outgrow your tank ... so make sure you plan to re-home it at some point.

I have no experience with the eel - sorry.

Hope this helps.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there ... sounds like a great project.

My first reaction is to ask a million questions about the details of the build, how you are going to cycle the tank, and how quickly you are going to try and put all this stuff in ... but I'll take for granted you've already thought all that through.

With respect to your stocking plan, here are some thoughts:

1) I like to start with a small school of Damsels ... I think the Azure Damsels are a great choice as they will help you cement your cycle. Once you are sure the tank is ready, then move on to the next fish

2) Then I'd move on the the Tangs and add them all at the same time to avoid conflict. Adding them early will help you keep the inevitable algae under control. You could also add the puffer at this stage.

3) I would not advise adding Triggers with the corals ... I have not kept them myself, but I've always understood them to be very difficult to keep with sessile inverts

4) I love your selection of Angelfish, but I don't think you can have BOTH in the same tank. The Blueface angel in particular should be kept as the only angelfish in the tank. Also, the Blueface will get BIG and eventually outgrow your tank ... so make sure you plan to re-home it at some point.

I have no experience with the eel - sorry.

Hope this helps.
+1 also no zoas with an angel they will be wasted money. Humu triggers don’t touch soft corals but mine does attack small fish.

OP
OP
Angry German

Angry German

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I'm waiting for my tank to arrive. I will have a Trigger Platinum sump, Red Sea skimmer, 55w UV. I have not really figured out how I will cycle but will probably use Dr Tims or some such product and leave for several weeks.

I've had several reef tanks in the past but I always wanted to have an aggressive tank. The leathers and zoas I'm using is from a nano tank I have in my office that is overgrowing. If they end up being fish food so be it I don't really mind, just something to look at before adding fish.

I will QT the fish the humble fish way of 72 days, I already set up a 29 gallon tank, that being said I would probably have to QT each fish individually ( or 2 at a time depending on the size) so it will be some time before all the fish make it into the DT.

Just trying to figure the best order to add each.

Thanks guys.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back