New tank old question

Haroldeez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the brown diatom algae looking stuff is normal in a new system but is it supposed to be thick enough to be able to peel off a layer of it off half my rock?? I use RODI water and I need the lights on for 2 corals I have I m just worried that I have an excessive amount of this stuff. I’ve got 5 snails in there but it would take em a year to eat this stuff

OP
OP
H

Haroldeez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no way to post pics... I wish. I mean I hit it with the turkey baster and it flies off easily in sheets

OP
OP
H

Haroldeez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say half my rock has got a sheet of it 100 gallon tank 100 pounds rock. Good flow I think. 2 Wavelinks

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I wish u could post a pic... are you using ur phone? Hard to say but most likely diatoms that will go away on their own. I know it seems like it's bad and getting worse but it will improve. Slow and steady wins the race! One day you'll wake up and say oh wow, its gone!

OP
OP
H

Haroldeez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m doing too many water changes I do 2 a week because I’m OCD about my tanks. I’m probably over thinking this. It just looks like ****. But now I’m seeing a video on CJs Aquariums and I think what I’m experiencing is normal. Man it’s ugly

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I think you'll he alright. Ton of YouTube videos that will walk you though it. Water changes aren't a bad thing but it depends on ur filtration and equipment, bio load, how long your lights run. But you sound like you're on the right track! Research research research!

OP
OP
H

Haroldeez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon DT 30 sump. 120 pounds life rock 20 of that is in sump. 2 8x8x1 Marine Pure blocks and like 50 Marine Pure bio balls Filter floss in cups. Octopus150 skimmer. It’s a Waterbox 100.3 it’s awesome. I wish it was easier to post pics on here

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds awesome. Ya I think you're on the right track and have good equipment. All you need now is to relax and watch it work!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back