New tank on the way and like some advice!

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day to all and hope all have a blessed day!

Well the upgrade bug finally bit me, I started back into the hobby a few months ago after a 20 year absence.
I and my wife wanted to be sure I'd stick this out so opted for a small Fluval 13.5 just because I didn't want to go all in right off the bat and waste a bunch of money, Umm Well... Yeah, what started off as a basic AIO turned out to be a $$ pit. upgraded the return pump, heaters, power heads, lighting and filter baskets ect. The pump alone was more then the tank and lighting :confounded-face:

So I/we decided to upgrade to something more classy, and not something that I need my glasses on to see whats in the tank lol.

I did a bunch of searches on AIO tanks. I checked out the Red Sea tanks, IM and Water box. I was weighing out all the pros and cons for a number of days and pulled the trigger on the Waterbox 35.2 tank and stand, with the mesh top and Prime 16HD lighting with 12" flex arm all through the Waterbox Canada site. Im glad I did because last night I seen most or all of the AIO tanks sold out!

Another reason I went larger and picked out this system was because of the smaller foot print, as we don't want our living room to be over packed with things and the Box and stand combo would be a perfect fit. The stand is the Aspen style that'll blend in with our decor very nicely.

It just got to the point that I wanted a tank that looked nice, IE the Fluval... but with trying to keep it looking stock and clean I was running out of room to keep the system looking tidy, like cable management and keeping the factory lid in place. I was able to mod the side cover to house a bubble magus skimmer and also 2 12" 21ledusa 453nm light bars under the hood.. A few days ago I recieved the New XP Aqua Duett02 ATO (GOD I LOVE THAT ATO)!!! and that was enough to almost take away from the tidy look.

So now to my questions.

Ive had this Fluval for a few months or so and I really dont have the space to have the Waterbox and fluval running at the same time. I'd like to move the Fluval out of the way to place the Waterbox in place. What thought do ya'll have on me leaving the sand bed in the Fluval and using new Caribsea live sand and then just placing in the already seeded Caribsea life rock into the new tank?

I do have pods already in the Fluval and really don't want to loos them all by leaving the existing sand bed in the Fluval as I don't want to screw things up during set up. I hear disturbing the sand bed can be a bad thing and dont want to spike the new tank.

Alright, my plan is to mix up enough water for the new tank and get it circulating throughout.
-drop in new sand
-drop in seeded life rock and corals and 3 fish
-drop in existing filter media like the bio gems, carbon and other bags in the filter box to help seed the tank rather then do a complete cycle.. Can it be done?

One more thing, whats the biggest Sicce Syncra pump that can be installed, and what skimmer will fit?
I want to have all parts here before the Waterbox is delivered.

Thanks in advance everyone, as know I trust I'll be steered correctly in this journey.

Have a great day! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer your last question about the pumps that will fit that tank, but the rest of your plan sounds pretty spot on. I might even opt for dry sand if it were me just to eliminate any possibility of a spike. I’ve never used the arag-alive sand or anything like that, so I’m not sure if dumping it in will cause a spike even though it’s new. Transferring your rock however, shouldn’t spike anything. Especially if you’re just taking it out of one and placing directly in the other. You probably won’t see any cycle at all, but if you do see a spike, it will be from the live sand.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What thought do ya'll have on me leaving the sand bed in the Fluval and using new Caribsea live sand and then just placing in the already seeded Caribsea life rock into the new tank?
Definitely a good idea.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have pods already in the Fluval and really don't want to loos them all by leaving the existing sand bed in the Fluval
You will likely have plenty in the rocks and other media. And they will multiply in your new system pretty quickly :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great idea!
They should have the dimensions of the chambers on their website. They used to also list compatible equipment but not sure if they still do since now they market some of their own...

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should have the dimensions of the chambers on their website. They used to also list compatible equipment but not sure if they still do since now they market some of their own...
Yeah I was being sarcastic and reason being I've called and can never get through.

I probably should shoot them an email and hope to get a reply. They have a Canadian site now and that's where I bought the system from and delivery is some time in May. I would like to have all the parts before it shows up.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was being sarcastic and reason being I've called and can never get through.

I probably should shoot them an email and hope to get a reply. They have a Canadian site now and that's where I bought the system from and delivery is some time in May. I would like to have all the parts before it shows up.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From the WB website...
They show the 32.5 is compatible with the Tunze 9001 (scroll down to the graphic)

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I really appreciate it.

I went to intank site and usually they show what's compatible, but one time I visit the site I get one answer and the next time I get something different.

I didn't even think of going to waterbox american site.

I just want to be sure I'm getting a good skimmer and not just a mediocre one.

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the skimmer will fit.

I emailed Waterbox the middle of May and they told me the first part of June is the estimated time.

I emailed them today :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230601_132043_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230601_132043_Gmail.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 17

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you arguing to over the tank, I would try to put something in the tank like a lot of mesh to capture the pods.
I would put in new sand, and the old rock and new copepods, rinse and keep the old sand for later use.
It is so much easier to add a new tank to a new spot and not switch one out.

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a space thing though I'd like to keep this one going it can't happen. I've got everything ready, just need to order the sand and I'm good to go. Oh and a few jars of pods on hold waiting for my go ahead to ship out. I'll do the sand, move most of the rock over and dose a bit of Fritz fuel and add a liter of Fritz zyme 9 and let it rip along for a few days and see what happens while the coral and fish wait for there new home. Hopefully I got all base's covered?

Not sure if I should add the Fritz fuel for the ammonia and the zyme 9 or just the zyme 9 and forget the fuel?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F
It's a space thing though I'd like to keep this one going it can't happen. I've got everything ready, just need to order the sand and I'm good to go. Oh and a few jars of pods on hold waiting for my go ahead to ship out. I'll do the sand, move most of the rock over and dose a bit of Fritz fuel and add a liter of Fritz zyme 9 and let it rip along for a few days and see what happens while the coral and fish wait for there new home. Hopefully I got all base's covered?

Not sure if I should add the Fritz fuel for the ammonia and the zyme 9 or just the zyme 9 and forget the fuel?
Forget the fuel.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you arguing to over the tank, I would try to put something in the tank like a lot of mesh to capture the pods.
I would put in new sand, and the old rock and new copepods, rinse and keep the old sand for later use.
It is so much easier to add a new tank to a new spot and not switch one out.
One of these days my 8 fingers and my brain are going to have a conversation and agree who works for whom.
If you arguing to over the tank
Yeah I give up on that one. LOL

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the moment has arrived, my waterbox is in my hometown and hopefully I'll be receiving a phone call in the morning to check on delivery. Hopefully they will be able to deliver tomorrow.

Keep an eye out for my new build as I'll have a bunch of pictures. I hope to have everything up and running and stable by this weekend.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 54 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back