What are my options for a drill-able tank?

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I recently learned that Aqueon switched to tempered glass for their tanks beyond a certain date, and my plan to recycle some old tanks into a new reef system has gone out the window.

Are my options limited to essentially RR manufacturers? I’m looking for something between 75-125 that I could plumb into a 40B sump, and I was hoping to incorporate a display refugium as well. I’m looking at the Fluval Siena 88 my LFS has on sale. I know it’s plumbed for a canister but they have theirs capped off all the same and Fluval claims not to use tempered glass.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

magallonbuckinbulls

Beers, Bulls, and Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it’s not tempered you can drill it. I like to double up on glass when attaching a bulkhead. You can easily silicone a glass panel that fits the area you plan to drill and core thru both of them.

OP
OP
Thalasstronaut

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s not tempered you can drill it. I like to double up on glass when attaching a bulkhead. You can easily silicone a glass panel that fits the area you plan to drill and core thru both of them.
Do you have any specific brands you like to use for tanks? Aqueon was my default one but they’ve apparently largely switched to using tempered on all sides, while it was previously just the bottoms.

magallonbuckinbulls

Beers, Bulls, and Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tempered glass is much stronger and safe.

You can request the tank made with the holes. They’ll drill the holes before tempering. Unless they buy mass panels already cut to size and tempered for quick production.

I don’t have any brand I prefer other than Waterbox.

If you feel ballsy, you can replace the bottom glass with a thicker non tempered panel :). Of keep the same thickness and have it tempered

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back