What are my options for a drill-able tank?

Thalasstronaut

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 26, 2023
Messages
164
Reaction score
147
Location
New England
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I recently learned that Aqueon switched to tempered glass for their tanks beyond a certain date, and my plan to recycle some old tanks into a new reef system has gone out the window.

Are my options limited to essentially RR manufacturers? I’m looking for something between 75-125 that I could plumb into a 40B sump, and I was hoping to incorporate a display refugium as well. I’m looking at the Fluval Siena 88 my LFS has on sale. I know it’s plumbed for a canister but they have theirs capped off all the same and Fluval claims not to use tempered glass.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
 
If it’s not tempered you can drill it. I like to double up on glass when attaching a bulkhead. You can easily silicone a glass panel that fits the area you plan to drill and core thru both of them.
 
If it’s not tempered you can drill it. I like to double up on glass when attaching a bulkhead. You can easily silicone a glass panel that fits the area you plan to drill and core thru both of them.
Do you have any specific brands you like to use for tanks? Aqueon was my default one but they’ve apparently largely switched to using tempered on all sides, while it was previously just the bottoms.
 
Tempered glass is much stronger and safe.

You can request the tank made with the holes. They’ll drill the holes before tempering. Unless they buy mass panels already cut to size and tempered for quick production.

I don’t have any brand I prefer other than Waterbox.

If you feel ballsy, you can replace the bottom glass with a thicker non tempered panel :). Of keep the same thickness and have it tempered
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new