New tank plumbing setup ideas?

aaliotti1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’m pretty new to reefing and im currently going from a 40 gal fish only setup to a used 120g tank. The tank has one corner overflow with one drain 1” and one return 3/4”. I got a 40gal glass tank and ordered pre made baffles to build my sump. I am trying to decide the best direction to go for plumbing everything. Should i get two return pumps? Do i create an emergency drain and plumb a separate return line? Is it better for my tank to drain directly down into the sump and have stronger return pumps or should i have the tank drain to the opposite side of the sump and have the return pump do less work? I have two reactors and a uv sterilizer to plumb as well. I can post pictures later tonight. Im starting from scratch and ive seen so many setups with plumbing that i cant decide what is best. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
aaliotti1

aaliotti1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9899F701-D6EB-4E36-B7F6-47495B8D711B.jpeg

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get those baffles looking for some for my 40g sump also. Fwiw I have a tank with the same drain return set up. One return pump is all you need. You can convert to a different set up that includes an emergency drain but it's a bit of a hassle. Just make sure you get the right sized return pump for your volume and head pressure needs. Under sized is better then over sized, and if you can swing it get a DC model so you don't have to restrict flow with valve. Don't over fill the set up and make sure you have enough room in the sump to handle the volume if the pump stops.

OP
OP
aaliotti1

aaliotti1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get those baffles looking for some for my 40g sump also. Fwiw I have a tank with the same drain return set up. One return pump is all you need. You can convert to a different set up that includes an emergency drain but it's a bit of a hassle. Just make sure you get the right sized return pump for your volume and head pressure needs. Under sized is better then over sized, and if you can swing it get a DC model so you don't have to restrict flow with valve. Don't over fill the set up and make sure you have enough room in the sump to handle the volume if the pump stops.
I got the baffles from ebay it’s called the triton baffle kit, message him and he will hook you up with anything specific you need for your setup. Thanks for the info, I’m ending up going with a herbie setup for my drains.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back