New tank Question. When should i start dosing?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 gallons total with display and sump. Jebao 4 head doser on hand, and a 3 part container ready to go. Im looking at Reef Fusion from Seachem for 2 part with trace dosing. Looking to get a few test frags after christmas. Running Standard Instant oceean for a lower alk mix than RC. WHen would you say id need to configure this doser? I dont mind doing it from day one, im just trying to figure out what i need to do. SHould i get the 3 or 4 test frags im after, test alk, call, mag phos during my weekly maint, then test alk each day for a week, and then dial it in? Etc?

Thoughts?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for a long time. You'll know when it's time as long as you start testing semi-frequently.

When it gets to the point that water changes won't do the trick, that's when it's time to start dosing.

Since it's a new tank, maybe just start testing params once every month/two weeks. Then as you add more corals and things start to fill up, start testing weekly.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t need to dose for a while. Water changes will maintain your calcium and alk uptake until you have enough coral to require supplements. You can test ca and alk to see when your demands exceed your water changes

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already said, your probably won’t need to start dosing for a while.

Just do weekly tests of the main foundation elements and when they start to drop and water changes aren’t keeping them stable, that’s when you need to start dosing. Only dose what’s needed after testing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing to monitor is alkalinity. It will be the first thing to indicate that you need to start dosing. I wouldn't bother measuring magnesium at all, and calcium once a month is adequate until you start dosing.

I'm measure alkalinity weekly, and if it drops below your target, start dosing.

I should also not that the Seachem Reef Fusion is not designed properly for 1:1 dosing, despite the Seachem claims.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing to monitor is alkalinity. It will be the first thing to indicate that you need to start dosing. I wouldn't bother measuring magnesium at all, and calcium once a month is adequate until you start dosing.

I should also not that the Seachem Reef Fusion is not designed properly for 1:1 dosing, despite the Seachem claims.
While you're hear what are your top 3 dosing brands? :D

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you're hear what are your top 3 dosing brands? :D

lol

Since there is no information on what is in ANY two or three part system, it comes down to what companies you trust and how much you want to pay.

Cheapo: my DIY recipes, such as from BRS. There are at least 4 different recipes around depending on how much you want to raise pH.

More expensive but more ionically "complete": ESV B-ionic and Tropic Marin Balling

You can use the Tropic Marin Balling Part C instead of my magnesium part if you want to up cost and completeness, but still DIY the alk and calcium parts. .

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea thats the first thing i noticed, I dont require 1:1, i just dont want to mix my own etc. So it sounds like test alk weekly, and go from there? im not against water changes, but thats what im trying to learn on, when dosing becomes cheaper vs burning more salt.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea thats the first thing i noticed, I dont require 1:1, i just dont want to mix my own etc. So it sounds like test alk weekly, and go from there? im not against water changes, but thats what im trying to learn on, when dosing becomes cheaper vs burning more salt.

Dosing is always cheaper, unless you are doing the water changes for other reasons anyway, in which case it is "free".

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will know. Do some research on alk/ca and corals. It will help you in the long run. I think it’s pretty cool anyway but it sure makes reefing easier when you understand it

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

Since there is no information on what is in ANY two or three part system, it comes down to what companies you trust and how much you want to pay.

Cheapo: my DIY recipes, such as from BRS. There are at least 4 different recipes around depending on how much you want to raise pH.

More expensive but more ionically "complete": ESV B-ionic and Tropic Marin Balling

You can use the Tropic Marin Balling Part C instead of my magnesium part if you want to up cost and completeness, but still DIY the alk and calcium parts. .
what about tropic marin's "all-for-reef powder" vs their balling

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about tropic marin's "all-for-reef powder" vs their balling

I'm not as much of a fan of it due to the inability to carefully control dosing via alkalinity.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing is always cheaper, unless you are doing the water changes for other reasons anyway, in which case it is "free".
Thats kind of what im getting at. Personally, i rather dose than WC, unless i need to bring something else down. Just seems like a more stable option, and less stress on fish.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats kind of what im getting at. Personally, i rather dose than WC, unless i need to bring something else down. Just seems like a more stable option, and less stress on fish.

I dose instead of WC's also. So then you should start dosing once your add SPS.

You just have to start testing daily to dial it in. and then every month for 3-4 days to adjust until it becomes a constant.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose instead of WC's also. So then you should start dosing once your add SPS.

You just have to start testing daily to dial it in. and then every month for 3-4 days to adjust until it becomes a constant.
Im really not chasing the SPS train to say. Im more into LPS, Clams, and such. I do want choice SPS, but mostly LPS, meats, acans, euphellia etc. I just dont know when to throw some reef fusion in my containers and program the pumps etc.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im really not chasing the SPS train to say. Im more into LPS, Clams, and such. I do want choice SPS, but mostly LPS, meats, acans, euphellia etc. I just dont know when to throw some reef fusion in my containers and program the pumps etc.

Then you shouldn't have to even dose too much :)

You could probably fill it up with softies and never dose. just WC every 6 months honestly.

But the only way you'll ever know man if you're not doing WC's is just to test. We can't really answer how your corals are going to digest minerals in your tank at what speed.

Get the corals, start testing, and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Just dose if you need to (I don't think you will without any sps for months)

You can come back here anytime otherwise :)

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you shouldn't have to even dose too much :)

You could probably fill it up with softies and never dose. just WC every 6 months honestly.

But the only way you'll ever know man if you're not doing WC's is just to test. We can't really answer how your corals are going to digest minerals in your tank at what speed.

Get the corals, start testing, and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Just dose if you need to (I don't think you will without any sps for months)

You can come back here anytime otherwise :)
That was the ultimate plan for sure. I figure a few test frags after the holidays to see where we are. tank will be almost 4 months after the holidays.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back