New Tank Questions

Rifken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we are thinking off getting a larger tank for our fish and am looking for a 240 gallon glass tank but I have some questions

Are there any companies making a "stock" 240 gallon glass tank any more? I see Aqueon has a 21O gallon tank but it is 72 inches long. I would like a 84 or 96 long tank. I see Marineland has a 84" 265 gallon tank but I've been reading bad things about Marineland tanks

In going to an updated filter system my studies point toward live rock and a sump with a protien skimmer. Could it really be that simple for a large FOWLR tank?

Overflows... Internal with weirs, external with holes in the back or just a hob overflow? What are the plus or minuses? I am leaning to internal so the tank can be closer to the wall. A 24" wide tank is going stick out quite a bit already.

I have been looking at used tanks (not many 240s though) and most are not drilled in any way. I've read that you can't drill tempered glass and that many tanks have tempered glass for the bottom. They say you can look for a greenish tint for tempered. Is that still true? There seems to be many types of glass now.

Looking forward to your thoughts. The closest I've come to this was a 180 back in the 80's with a HOB overflow feeding a wet/dry sump (blue bio balls) with a sponge filter area then it returned back to the tank. I think I had a Magnum 330 on the tank also but that was a long time ago and my memory isn't so good nay more.

Thanks,
-Bob

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really answer most of your questions but I will say hob overflows with a sump work perfectly fine if you can't or don't want to drill. The 180g below has been running on 2 hob over flows for about 3 years or so. Everything was in another 180 that was drilled but it was aging and the bulkheads always seeped so I converted this one over from freshwater. Never had a flood or lost syphon like many people caution about. Just throwing that out there.
DSC00913.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So we are thinking off getting a larger tank for our fish and am looking for a 240 gallon glass tank but I have some questions

Are there any companies making a "stock" 240 gallon glass tank any more? I see Aqueon has a 21O gallon tank but it is 72 inches long. I would like a 84 or 96 long tank. I see Marineland has a 84" 265 gallon tank but I've been reading bad things about Marineland tanks

In going to an updated filter system my studies point toward live rock and a sump with a protien skimmer. Could it really be that simple for a large FOWLR tank?

Overflows... Internal with weirs, external with holes in the back or just a hob overflow? What are the plus or minuses? I am leaning to internal so the tank can be closer to the wall. A 24" wide tank is going stick out quite a bit already.

I have been looking at used tanks (not many 240s though) and most are not drilled in any way. I've read that you can't drill tempered glass and that many tanks have tempered glass for the bottom. They say you can look for a greenish tint for tempered. Is that still true? There seems to be many types of glass now.

Looking forward to your thoughts. The closest I've come to this was a 180 back in the 80's with a HOB overflow feeding a wet/dry sump (blue bio balls) with a sponge filter area then it returned back to the tank. I think I had a Magnum 330 on the tank also but that was a long time ago and my memory isn't so good nay more.

Thanks,
-Bob
Stock 240 - I had a 240 from glass cages (@Joe Glass Cages ) and also tenecor makes a 240g

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus lighting and an attractive substrate. Yes. It could be that simple. But for the large tank you're considering, I'd add an appropriately sized UV.
or just a hob overflow
In my years of having various sized aquariums, I would suggest that an HOB only be used on aquariums of 100g or less. This is just my experience/opinion.

Good luck Bob!

OP
OP
Rifken

Rifken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a 180 for sale near me for what I think is a fairly good price. It is drilled and has two overflows that look like the aqueon megaflow style. The returns just hang over the back which seemed kinda wierd. There is also a sump but I am not sure of the size. I have only seen pictures so far and the owner isn't much help, probably a language barrier.

So this would be an upsize from my 125. I would be moving the water, fish, South Seas rock and all the other corals/decorations from the 125 into this tank.
Fish.jpg

I was wondering would I move the crushed coral over into the new tank? Keep in mind that the 125 has an undergravel filter so it's sort of course. I see the live sand is much finer. Would it be a good idea to maybe go half and half with the "125" crushed coral since it's seasoned along with some new finer sand? how deep does the "bed" need to be. Keep in mind this is a FOWLR tank.

I am thinking of getting another 40 lbs of Carib Sea South Seas base rock to put in the 125 immediately to season it before the tank switch out. Good idea?

I am thinking of a Aquamaxx ConeS Q2 skimmer for the sump.

I am thinking maybe running the skimmer off one overflow and the cannister off the 125 from the other overflow at least initially to help "stabilize' the tank initially.

I'm looking for ideas of how to do this smartly,
-Bob

OP
OP
Rifken

Rifken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

I think I found the score of a lifetime Friday evening. I did my usual afternoon check of Marketplace and nothing turned up so I decided to go on Craigslist and I saw a listing for a 300 gallon tank just 200 miles away. The listing was five hours old and it showed a very dusty tank stored away in a corner of the garage. I contacted the person and made arrangements to drive up Saturday morning.

It came with the stand, canopy, glass lids and a silicone (?) 3D background. It is a drilled tank with the holes located in the bottom corners. The weirs were removed and he had plugged the holes for his set up but he kept the weirs and plumbing which also came with it. The design of the weirs is just like the Aqueon style. He also included a 90 gallon tank to convert to a sump. Did Aqueon make larger tanks back in the day?

It was very heavy and it took four of us to load it into the trailer. The stand and tank filled the trailer and the rest of the stuff filled up the Suburban. It was good we didn't take the Tahoe or we would have been making a second trip.

While driving home I realized that the tank did not go all the way to the back of my trailer and it's an 8 foot long trailer. When we got home I measured the tank and it turns out to be a 260 (84L x 24D x 30H). I couldn't be happier as I was actually wanting a 7 foot tank but couldn't find one. It'll just fit much nicer where the tank is slated to go.

So now it's real and I need to come up with a plan of what to buy. I did already order some more rock. Everything else is TBD. I hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks,
-Bob

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

I think I found the score of a lifetime Friday evening. I did my usual afternoon check of Marketplace and nothing turned up so I decided to go on Craigslist and I saw a listing for a 300 gallon tank just 200 miles away. The listing was five hours old and it showed a very dusty tank stored away in a corner of the garage. I contacted the person and made arrangements to drive up Saturday morning.

It came with the stand, canopy, glass lids and a silicone (?) 3D background. It is a drilled tank with the holes located in the bottom corners. The weirs were removed and he had plugged the holes for his set up but he kept the weirs and plumbing which also came with it. The design of the weirs is just like the Aqueon style. He also included a 90 gallon tank to convert to a sump. Did Aqueon make larger tanks back in the day?

It was very heavy and it took four of us to load it into the trailer. The stand and tank filled the trailer and the rest of the stuff filled up the Suburban. It was good we didn't take the Tahoe or we would have been making a second trip.

While driving home I realized that the tank did not go all the way to the back of my trailer and it's an 8 foot long trailer. When we got home I measured the tank and it turns out to be a 260 (84L x 24D x 30H). I couldn't be happier as I was actually wanting a 7 foot tank but couldn't find one. It'll just fit much nicer where the tank is slated to go.

So now it's real and I need to come up with a plan of what to buy. I did already order some more rock. Everything else is TBD. I hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks,
-Bob

nice score.
my thoughts:
water test the tank out side for a day or two. make sure it level and fully supported so you dont bust it.
give it a good cleaning/soak in vinegar or better yet citric acid. that will clean it right up.

once it passed the water test and cleaned up silicone the wires back in. be sure to use aquarium safe silicone. GE 1 I believe in the cheaper go to. but double check me there. you dont want any funky mold inhibitors and the like. just 100% silicone.

while that is curing. give that stand a good once over. does it needed to be sanded and refinished or is it good to go? now is the time to do any repairs and make sure it will hold the weight of the 260 gal. of SW.

enjoy the new tank. go slow and have fun!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back