New Tank Recommendations

tmcreynolds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon petco tank and a 20 gallon long petco tank that i would like to start a new tank with. I would like a few recommendations and have a few questions.
What would be a good overflow to but drill and install into the 75 gallon?
Should i start with a UV filter off the bat?
Should i start with a refugium off the bat?
How do i cure dry rock?- My wife wont let me put the tank up until after Christmas but i would like to start curing rock now to cut down on the cycle time.
Any other suggestions would be great. I currently have a 40 breeder but i would like to move tank location and upgrade to a bigger size

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon petco tank and a 20 gallon long petco tank that i would like to start a new tank with. I would like a few recommendations and have a few questions.
What would be a good overflow to but drill and install into the 75 gallon?
Should i start with a UV filter off the bat?
Should i start with a refugium off the bat?
How do i cure dry rock?- My wife wont let me put the tank up until after Christmas but i would like to start curing rock now to cut down on the cycle time.
Any other suggestions would be great. I currently have a 40 breeder but i would like to move tank location and upgrade to a bigger size
#reefsquad

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, i would for sure drill it. For overflows, I'd look at:
Fuji Cube
Eshopps
Innovative Marine, but they maybe are out of stock?
Synergy

I'm not a UV guy. They do have their place. I wouldn't put too much faith in one solving disease issues. I am a proponent of QT.

Fuge? Sure, if that's your goal. You could start with some extra rock that you're cycling and throw that in the sump. Some people mean algae scrubber when they say "refugium". I would probably wait on that.

For curing rock, I agree if you do that now, you won't have to cycle the tank. A Brute trash can, heater, powerhead can get that done. Add all your rock and enough ammonia to reach about 2 ppm.

Edit: To add to the rock curing...

If you are using dry rock or previously live rock that's dead, I would test the Brute for phosphate. Better to fix a potential phosphate-in-the-rock issue there than in the tank.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back