New tank same livestock&rock

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 125 and upgraded to a 300. Put my fish in a 100gal tote for the time being. Put all rock from the 125 in to my 300 gal and put new dry sand in my new tank. How should I start the cycle for the tank? a piece of table shrimp? And with all my rock in the tank will it just suck up the ammonia and not start the cycle?

Malkbone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the rock was still live when it was transferred to your new 300g then you shouldn't have much of a cycle, as the bioload will be the same, and the bacteria is already established.

I believe most people would feed the same that you intend to feed your fish and monitor your ammonia and nitrites. With this feeding schedule when you're consistently testing low to 0 ammonia and nitrites you will be safe to add fish. This way you know your new tanks bacteria population is stabilized around your expected bioload from your existing stock

Malkbone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be ok even with the new dry sand?
Yes, I'd still give it about a week of consistent ghost feeding to stabilize your bacteria population.

The real indicator of when you know you're safe to add fish is when you have been feeding and show 0 ammonia 24hours after feeding

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 95 44.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 100 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 21 9.7%
Back