New Tank Set Up Method?

CjAmaryllis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I am new to the hobby. I have gathered all of my supplies and started cycling. I have a 40 gal breeder. I have a plan for post cycling, but I want to know if it's a good idea.

My main goal is biodiversity. Once I have just nitrates, I want to add macroalgaes, phytoplankton, and Coralline algae. I will probably let the algae go for about a month or two, adding some copepods in there at some point.

Once I feel good about that, I will slowly start adding my invert team, especially as a way to control nuisance things if possible. Once they're established, then fish and corals, but I'm thinking that will be 4-5 months into things. I plan to only do softies and LSP. I don't care about SPS much at this point.

I started with dry rock and sand. I like the idea of having lots of beneficial organisms, and species interaction (ie one species keeps another in control). Is there other things I could be adding to promote biodiversity? Is there anything wrong with my plan?
Thank you!

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could add live rock.

20230604_203550.gif

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I am new to the hobby. I have gathered all of my supplies and started cycling. I have a 40 gal breeder. I have a plan for post cycling, but I want to know if it's a good idea.

My main goal is biodiversity. Once I have just nitrates, I want to add macroalgaes, phytoplankton, and Coralline algae. I will probably let the algae go for about a month or two, adding some copepods in there at some point.

Once I feel good about that, I will slowly start adding my invert team, especially as a way to control nuisance things if possible. Once they're established, then fish and corals, but I'm thinking that will be 4-5 months into things. I plan to only do softies and LSP. I don't care about SPS much at this point.

I started with dry rock and sand. I like the idea of having lots of beneficial organisms, and species interaction (ie one species keeps another in control). Is there other things I could be adding to promote biodiversity? Is there anything wrong with my plan?
Thank you!
The only comment I have is that coralline won't grow early on a new system. Your best bet for getting some is if it comes in on snail shells or frags (or if you add a rock from an established tank that has a lot of coralline). The bottled stuff is snake oil IMO.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back