New tank set up, need recs for final set of equipment

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I have most of what I need to set up my new 75 EXT from innovative marine! I put a list together with some additional items that I'd like some input on since I've been out of the hobby for a while. If you all see anything that I'm missing in addition to my Need list and Current equipment list please make your suggestions! Thanks!!

Need:
  1. ATO: waited for it to go on sale, didn't happen. Looking to get the spectrapure ATO from their site.
  2. Light timer: Have orphek atlantik v4 mounted to the tank, could be controlled by phone but also looking for something automatic on/off. Cheap $10 timer from Walmart?
    1. will need to grab the orphek Gateway2 to control the light and get its full intensity available
  3. Test kits: Ca/dKh/Mg, pH/nitrate/ammonia brands? Salifert for all?
  4. Refractometer: Traditional refractometer or Milwaukee seawater digital refractometer? Does it matter? The latter sounds convenient/probably not worth 3x value?
  5. Salt: I searched the forum, it seems like this is kind of a mixed opinion yet. Used to use reef crystals. People are loving the red sea coral pro or tropic marine though it seems.
  6. Glass scraper: Nearly 1/2" glass, 12mm. Looked at the Algae Free Piranha but I think its rated up to 3/8". Flipper vs larger Alage Free?
  7. TDS meter: Had an old hannah meter, batteries need changed but price of batteries + calibration solution could purchase new meter. Current recs for TDS meters?

Equipment list that I already have:
  • 75 EXT by IM tank and stand
  • Orphek atlantik V4 light and tank mount
  • Varios 4 return pump
  • Eheim jager heater
  • Inkbird heater controller
  • Ruby 20 cube by trigger systems
  • 5 gallon RO reservoir for ATO
  • Maxspect xf330 gyre
  • My old 75 gpd RODI machine with new filters/membrane/resin
  • American DJ 8 channel outlet strip for outlet switches
  • Skimmer supposed to be getting one from a friend of mine, forgot the model

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ato. Is one of the best things I’ve ever bought. I go without my apex before I gave up my ato.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tunze ATO is a workhorse, if you're not dead-set on spectrapure.

Test kits: Hanna tester for Alk and phosphate, nyos for nitrate, salifert/red sea for the rest.

Refractometer: I've got the Milwaukee electronic tester, makes things effortless. Never used an analog one.

Salt: you ask 6 people you're gonna get 6 different answers. IO works, so does Red Sea and so does Tropic Marin. Whatever you can get locally and can afford to upkeep go with that. Some like salt like Tropic Marin and mixes low Alk because they can dose it up...and it mixes and keeps its parameters for storage.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ato. Is one of the best things I’ve ever bought. I go without my apex before I gave up my ato.
Tunze ATO is a workhorse, if you're not dead-set on spectrapure.

Test kits: Hanna tester for Alk and phosphate, nyos for nitrate, salifert/red sea for the rest.

Refractometer: I've got the Milwaukee electronic tester, makes things effortless. Never used an analog one.

Salt: you ask 6 people you're gonna get 6 different answers. IO works, so does Red Sea and so does Tropic Marin. Whatever you can get locally and can afford to upkeep go with that. Some like salt like Tropic Marin and mixes low Alk because they can dose it up...and it mixes and keeps its parameters for storage.

Thanks! I hadn't heard of these hanna meters for alk/phos. I'll go that route! Glad to hear you're using the digital refractometer with good results. That's where I was leaning. With regards to the ATO, I saw a lot of threads supporting the tunze and others saying spectrapure was the best of the best. It's one thing I definitely didn't want to fail. I know tunze has a good reputation too, but since it was on sale over black friday and if I'd go that route now and pay full price I'd feel bad.

Additionally, saw a lot of people using Apex and Dos system for AWC. This looks like something I'd be interested in setting up at some time. I don't have ability to put water storage containers and drains below the tank, but one of the photos in another thread had larger, square ~15 gallon dry pet food containers plumbed for this. I would need 2 containers, one as a water out container and the other fresh saltwater in. Will the litermeter 3 by spectrapure work for this? Pull water into one container, push from the new container? I had an apex in the past; I likely didn't use it to full potential but I don't see the importance of one now if this LM3 system will work. Sounds great to be able to change 1g/day and empty and refill the 2 containers twice monthly.

Also had a question for cycling this new one; I'm going bare bottom, rocks are all dry Real Reef rock. Looked at another thread on products for jump starting a cycle, like Bio-Spira. Do I simply add a bottle of that and throw in some frozen mysis or other food so I know the bacteria has a food source?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I have most of what I need to set up my new 75 EXT from innovative marine! I put a list together with some additional items that I'd like some input on since I've been out of the hobby for a while. If you all see anything that I'm missing in addition to my Need list and Current equipment list please make your suggestions! Thanks!!

Need:
  1. ATO: waited for it to go on sale, didn't happen. Looking to get the spectrapure ATO from their site.
  2. Light timer: Have orphek atlantik v4 mounted to the tank, could be controlled by phone but also looking for something automatic on/off. Cheap $10 timer from Walmart?
    1. will need to grab the orphek Gateway2 to control the light and get its full intensity available
  3. Test kits: Ca/dKh/Mg, pH/nitrate/ammonia brands? Salifert for all?
  4. Refractometer: Traditional refractometer or Milwaukee seawater digital refractometer? Does it matter? The latter sounds convenient/probably not worth 3x value?
  5. Salt: I searched the forum, it seems like this is kind of a mixed opinion yet. Used to use reef crystals. People are loving the red sea coral pro or tropic marine though it seems.
  6. Glass scraper: Nearly 1/2" glass, 12mm. Looked at the Algae Free Piranha but I think its rated up to 3/8". Flipper vs larger Alage Free?
  7. TDS meter: Had an old hannah meter, batteries need changed but price of batteries + calibration solution could purchase new meter. Current recs for TDS meters?

Equipment list that I already have:
  • 75 EXT by IM tank and stand
  • Orphek atlantik V4 light and tank mount
  • Varios 4 return pump
  • Eheim jager heater
  • Inkbird heater controller
  • Ruby 20 cube by trigger systems
  • 5 gallon RO reservoir for ATO
  • Maxspect xf330 gyre
  • My old 75 gpd RODI machine with new filters/membrane/resin
  • American DJ 8 channel outlet strip for outlet switches
  • Skimmer supposed to be getting one from a friend of mine, forgot the model
For a refractometer I say get the Milwaukee. I have it and love mine. Calcium-api, mg- salifert, alk-Hanna checker, nitrate-api, phosphate- Hanna checker. You also need media reactors ;)

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Milwaukee and it is the best. I bought my ato used and dance some money. It has been going strong for 6 years, but If it breaks I would buy the replacement for it today full price or not. It would kill me but I would still do it in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a refractometer I say get the Milwaukee. I have it and love mine. Calcium-api, mg- salifert, alk-Hanna checker, nitrate-api, phosphate- Hanna checker. You also need media reactors ;)
I have the Milwaukee and it is the best. I bought my ato used and dance some money. It has been going strong for 6 years, but If it breaks I would buy the replacement for it today full price or not. It would kill me but I would still do it in a heartbeat.
Thanks! Just put an order for the Milwaukee digital refractometer. ATO and test kits I will grab what was recommended here. Then salt is kind of a mixed opinion, I'll just pick one and go with it. Otherwise it seems like I'm ready! Good idea for the media reactor. I could add on a 50/50 GFO/carbon combination reactor just for space and convenience.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Salifert test kits. I do use Hanna for Phosphate. Also, look at the VeeGee Scientific STX-3 refractometer is you want a quality traditional one.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you ordered one already. :)

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be careful running reactors (gfo) right out the gate, a good way to strip nutrients and invite dinos.

I would honestly hold off on reactors until you need them,but that's just me, I like to keep it simple.

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it may help with salt, BRSTV has quite a few videos on salt why they use the ones they use.
Also some people based the salt they used based on how close the salt is to the paramaters they want to keep.
as suggested in one of the post above, I would go talk to the local fish shops and see what the typically keep or use. it seems, instant ocean can be bought at PetSmart/Petco, most lfs will typically carry red sea, and something like fritz/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back