Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a new tank and an upgrade
I am looking at the Red Sea Reefer Max 350 G2+
It’s looks good especially as it comes plug and play and complete with all the Red Sea equipment

Does anyone on here have one and are they good and worth the money

Many thanks

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are good and worth the money for sure and it will get you off to a great start!

Every reefer will have different opinions on equipment but the Red Sea stuff just works. It's all you want really and a great place to start.

If the size fits your space and the price fits your budget, then I'd just go ahead.

If you like the ecosystem and is the kind of person who likes to stick to one app and an out of the box solution, then this is right for you!

It's definitely a capable setup!

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably get mixed feedback on the Red Sea tanks. They have a history of seam failure however that's likely been resolved for new/current models. It still was widespread enough to put people off of the brand indefinitely.

Otherwise they're solid tanks with one of the better plug and play sump setups in the biz!

OP
OP
C

cookie53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are good and worth the money for sure and it will get you off to a great start!

Every reefer will have different opinions on equipment but the Red Sea stuff just works. It's all you want really and a great place to start.

If the size fits your space and the price fits your budget, then I'd just go ahead.

If you like the ecosystem and is the kind of person who likes to stick to one app and an out of the box solution, then this is right for you!

It's definitely a capable setup!
Many thanks for that I have had my 110ltr reef tank now for 15 months and I really want to upgrade to a bigger tank and the Red Sea reefer looks great

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for that I have had my 110ltr reef tank now for 15 months and I really want to upgrade to a bigger tank and the Red Sea reefer looks great
They are great, the G2 tanks are lovely and a good way to upgrade for sure! I went with a Cade and hand picked equipment! What a hassle it was; some learning experience as well :D

You buying local or from online? Charterhouse offers great service!

OP
OP
C

cookie53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great, the G2 tanks are lovely and a good way to upgrade for sure! I went with a Cade and hand picked equipment! What a hassle it was; some learning experience as well :D

You buying local or from online? Charterhouse offers great service!
I have a local Aquatic centre where I bought my first tank from. They informed me that Red Sea make sure that all stockists charge the same

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 350 G2 i purchased in march of this year. here are my pros and cons so far to give you some food for thought. Feel free to check out my reefer 350 build thread or message me if you have more questions.

Pros
  • looks amazing in my opinion, super clean design. I love the rimless open top look, even if it means more evaporation
  • Great dimensions in my opinion, deep and wide enough for an awesome scape, but shallow enough to reach down to the bottom as needed
  • custom fitted stand, sump and plumbing. You can almost everything you need all in one kit
  • I personally love the rear center combined drain and return, it means filtered water is effortlessly disbursed
  • runs silent if set up properly (you'll only hear the hum of your skimmer, if you choose to have one
  • lots of custom fitted accessories (I fitted a reefmat 500 to it and personally love it)
  • G2 version has thicker glass and protective plastic over the silicone seams to (hopefully) eliminate the silicone seam failure issues. Time will tell, but it seems solid to me. Just don't be slamming your mag float or whatever you use to clean the interior glass up against the seams.
Cons
  • The stand is HORRIBLE to assemble, and frankly feels cheap for such an expensive system. I'd much rather solid wood or metal.
  • The ATO reservoir for gravity-fed top off seems great and works well at first, but it's actually way too small, prevents you from using the sump space fully, and in my case the float valve and rubber tube that allow the fresh water to flow down constantly clog or something. I replaced this with an optic ATO with external reservoir to eliminate all of these issues, but it's a shame because now everything is not under stand stand. I'm currently gearing up to use the ATO reservoir as a rimless freshwater planted tank instead :grinning-squinting-face:
  • fairly expensive
  • you will lose some jumping-prone fish if you don't add a custom fitted cover
  • I don't like all of the "best fitting" red sea accessories (i.e I went with kessil for lighting, octopus skimmer), so fitment can be a little challenging
  • the sump looks great but I HATE how tight it is. there is next to zero space behind and around it for magnet-mounted accessories (heaters, ATO sensor, etc) check my reefer 350 build thread for pics of just how tight it is. I even removed baffles to make more room for the skimmer, reef mat and algae turf scrubber.
  • The center rear overflow has pros like I said, but it also causes the issues of needing a custom cover since it's not a perfect rectangle (if you want a cover) and the overflow stack can also disrupt even flow from powerheads. I have 2 mp40s and 2 cheap powerheads for surface agitation to combat this.
  • The doors on the stand are super annoying to open and close. Again, at this price point, disappointing

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a local Aquatic centre where I bought my first tank from. They informed me that Red Sea make sure that all stockists charge the same
Local shop, good man!

OP
OP
C

cookie53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 350 G2 i purchased in march of this year. here are my pros and cons so far to give you some food for thought. Feel free to check out my reefer 350 build thread or message me if you have more questions.

Pros
  • looks amazing in my opinion, super clean design. I love the rimless open top look, even if it means more evaporation
  • Great dimensions in my opinion, deep and wide enough for an awesome scape, but shallow enough to reach down to the bottom as needed
  • custom fitted stand, sump and plumbing. You can almost everything you need all in one kit
  • I personally love the rear center combined drain and return, it means filtered water is effortlessly disbursed
  • runs silent if set up properly (you'll only hear the hum of your skimmer, if you choose to have one
  • lots of custom fitted accessories (I fitted a reefmat 500 to it and personally love it)
  • G2 version has thicker glass and protective plastic over the silicone seams to (hopefully) eliminate the silicone seam failure issues. Time will tell, but it seems solid to me. Just don't be slamming your mag float or whatever you use to clean the interior glass up against the seams.
Cons
  • The stand is HORRIBLE to assemble, and frankly feels cheap for such an expensive system. I'd much rather solid wood or metal.
  • The ATO reservoir for gravity-fed top off seems great and works well at first, but it's actually way too small, prevents you from using the sump space fully, and in my case the float valve and rubber tube that allow the fresh water to flow down constantly clog or something. I replaced this with an optic ATO with external reservoir to eliminate all of these issues, but it's a shame because now everything is not under stand stand. I'm currently gearing up to use the ATO reservoir as a rimless freshwater planted tank instead :grinning-squinting-face:
  • fairly expensive
  • you will lose some jumping-prone fish if you don't add a custom fitted cover
  • I don't like all of the "best fitting" red sea accessories (i.e I went with kessil for lighting, octopus skimmer), so fitment can be a little challenging
  • the sump looks great but I HATE how tight it is. there is next to zero space behind and around it for magnet-mounted accessories (heaters, ATO sensor, etc) check my reefer 350 build thread for pics of just how tight it is. I even removed baffles to make more room for the skimmer, reef mat and algae turf scrubber.
  • The center rear overflow has pros like I said, but it also causes the issues of needing a custom cover since it's not a perfect rectangle (if you want a cover) and the overflow stack can also disrupt even flow from powerheads. I have 2 mp40s and 2 cheap powerheads for surface agitation to combat this.
  • The doors on the stand are super annoying to open and close. Again, at this price point, disappointing
Thank you so much for your honest feedback and opinion to be honest I was going to look into getting the cabinet vinyl wrapped to match the furniture in the lounge. I have seen that Red Sea do a made to measure mesh cover sold separately to ensure jumping fish stay where they belong

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your honest feedback and opinion to be honest I was going to look into getting the cabinet vinyl wrapped to match the furniture in the lounge. I have seen that Red Sea do a made to measure mesh cover sold separately to ensure jumping fish stay where they belong
Welcome, I look forward to the build for your new tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back