New Taxes / Fees on orders.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't see how this is a major 'programming' problem for a website. I'm charged sales tax on stuff I buy from BRS because I live in MN. I assume that based on my zip code whatever software used on the webpage has a database of tax rates in MN and its automatically calculated (many locations have different sales tax rates in MN). I can't see how adding a tax rate database for the rest of the country would be that difficult. I do see how it would be onerous to prepare sales tax reports for 50 states for a small business... I wonder if state auditors from one state have the jurisdiction to audit a company in another state.

Yes the auditors do have the jurisdiction to audit a company in another state. We have auditors from states like New York and Illinois fly down to our office in Texas and they will be here anywhere from a day to a couple of weeks.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't see how this is a major 'programming' problem for a website. I'm charged sales tax on stuff I buy from BRS because I live in MN. I assume that based on my zip code whatever software used on the webpage has a database of tax rates in MN and its automatically calculated (many locations have different sales tax rates in MN). I can't see how adding a tax rate database for the rest of the country would be that difficult. I do see how it would be onerous to prepare sales tax reports for 50 states for a small business... I wonder if state auditors from one state have the jurisdiction to audit a company in another state.

So I just got done implementing a tax project for our point of sales systems. The easy part is collecting the tax the hard part is submitting to the correct jurisdictions. This is why you use a third part software for this. Implementing this software into your existing point of sale is not straight forward if your point of sale was designed for a brick and mortar location that only has a single tax jurisdiction coded into it. Since collecting tax is a new thing for online vendors I'm sure many were created without tax built in. For a company like ours that has a development group this was a few month project and cost about $250,000 to implement. For small companies that would need to use consultants it would be even higher

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has nothing to do with BRS taxes, the state of Kentucky will soon start charging 6% sales tax on gym memberships and other categories. I'm not buying a single product to take with me at the gym, I'm renting the space to use the equipment! It is what it is, I wish the best of luck to anyone running a small business.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I stoped using brs and now use marine Depot they have far better customer service and faster shipping, I also have issues with brs not taking my credit card and marine Depot always take It, also a little tip if you call and ask about your shipping and order most of time they will upgrade you to faster shipping like 2 day or next day

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stoped using brs and now use marine Depot they have far better customer service and faster shipping, I also have issues with brs not taking my credit card and marine Depot always take It, also a little tip if you call and ask about your shipping and order most of time they will upgrade you to faster shipping like 2 day or next day

Sorry to hear that... if you can PM me your email address I can take a look into your account and help address any issues you've encountered. I'd definitely like to make things right!

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far better customer service? That seems like a stretch. BRS is widely known for their awesome service. Marine Depot is great too but come on. You're just trolling now. The faster shipping thing I'll call BS as well. Marine Depot ships from a warehouse on the West Coast, BRS from MN so it all depends where you live. I Get my BRS shipments in 1 day because I live in MN. Marine deport takes 3 - 4 days.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far better customer service? That seems like a stretch. BRS is widely known for their awesome service. Marine Depot is great too but come on. You're just trolling now. The faster shipping thing I'll call crap as well. Marine Depot ships from a warehouse on the West Coast, BRS from MN so it all depends where you live. I Get my BRS shipments in 1 day because I live in MN. Marine deport takes 3 - 4 days.

It does depend on where you live. Where I live MD is faster since I’m close to the the ATL warehouse. Regardless though - both will likely be taxing me soon I’m sure lol.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does depend on where you live. Where I live MD is faster since I’m close to the the ATL warehouse. Regardless though - both will likely be taxing me soon I’m sure lol.

Yeah, the tax thing is not really something anyone is too jazzed about (except the state I guess!). It's not really a matter of choosing this store or that, since it's going to affect all online retailers - including major ones like amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?nodeId=468512

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the tax thing is not really something anyone is too jazzed about (except the state I guess!). It's not really a matter of choosing this store or that, since it's going to affect all online retailers - including major ones like amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?nodeId=468512

Exactly. I am a little sad y’all got hit with it. I was hoping there would be some sanity in the laws but WA’s $10K annual revenue cap in state is insanely low. Really should be $500K+ per state but many of these states want that $$$ ‍♂️

The law changes were originally targeting giant e-trailers like Amazon —- but now they are targeting even the small folks now.

SMBs are like the middle class in this country —- consistently getting screwed.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s true every time I call brs I’m on hold forever and I’m never on hold for marine Depot

Depending on the time period you are referring to, we did have higher wait times in the winter, which I apologize for. We monitor numbers like that on a weekly basis, and hired a bunch more staff in response. I'm happy to report we've had quick answer rates for at least the last 4 months :)

It's also worth noting that you will always get someone with reefing knowledge when you call us. We never put someone on the lines who is simply an order taker.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think the problem would be bad if it were just the 50 states. The challenge is that almost every city and county also have their own taxes. And, it isn't always separated by zip code. As an example, my zip code is part inside city limits and part outside. A store outside city limits has a sales tax 1.3% (if I remember right) lower than one inside city limits. Some larger cities may even be spread across more than one county so could have 2 different sales tax rates.

Then you have the issue of updates. It needs to be updated continuously as cities change their rates and annex different areas. Think of the number of checks that could need to go out. Every transaction typically results in 3 different government agencies needing to be paid sales taxes. Even a small online company could need to send out thousands of tax checks every quarter.

So, while it is technically doable, I can see what it could be prohibitively expensive for a small business.

I agree with you - I dont know if BRS does it with zip codes or addresses or what - but they do it somehow in MN - and there are different tax rates in one part of our county and the other. I was only saying - its possible. I assume there is a database (somewhere) that is used - and if the rates are incorrect I assume the risk would fall to whichever company is providing the information.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just got done implementing a tax project for our point of sales systems. The easy part is collecting the tax the hard part is submitting to the correct jurisdictions. This is why you use a third part software for this. Implementing this software into your existing point of sale is not straight forward if your point of sale was designed for a brick and mortar location that only has a single tax jurisdiction coded into it. Since collecting tax is a new thing for online vendors I'm sure many were created without tax built in. For a company like ours that has a development group this was a few month project and cost about $250,000 to implement. For small companies that would need to use consultants it would be even higher
I can't imagine that every company will write new code - im sure that there will be products available soon from multiple companies (and hopefully lower prices) to use for small companies to add into their websites.

In any case if I were a small business (though the customers might not like it) - I might go the route of providing customer information (dollar amount and name) and let the state and the customer sort it out. My guess is that some states will require the vendor to collect the tax.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has nothing to do with BRS taxes, the state of Kentucky will soon start charging 6% sales tax on gym memberships and other categories. I'm not buying a single product to take with me at the gym, I'm renting the space to use the equipment! It is what it is, I wish the best of luck to anyone running a small business.
write it off as health care;)

It's also worth noting that you will always get someone with reefing knowledge when you call us. We never put someone on the lines who is simply an order taker.
+1... and the inside scoop on what products are returned more frequently, if you ask.:cool: MD is Too big for personalized service
This tax thing was coming and the cost of doing biz with it...... I like the Flat 5% , If its a use tax and no brick and mortar or infrastructure is involved at the point of use than why the increase in regional tax?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
write it off as health care;)

+1... and the inside scoop on what products are returned more frequently, if you ask.:cool: MD is Too big for personalized service
This tax thing was coming and the cost of doing biz with it...... I like the Flat 5% , If its a use tax and no brick and mortar or infrastructure is involved at the point of use than why the increase in regional tax?

The law has always been - if you buy something online - you owe your state a use tax (If they have one). There was debate as to whether that was 'legal'. That was settled the other day by the Supreme Court. From most states perspective - there is no 'new law'. If you dont like the amount of sales tax your state charges - its up to you to vote for different legislators.

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all moan about tax in usa try living in the uk we pay around £1.30 (1.71 dollars) for 1 litre of diesel. Plus the 20% value added tax on everything we buy! plus they take 20% of what we earn and then we pay road tax on top of that lol goverments are greedy wherever you live

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all moan about tax in usa try living in the uk we pay around £1.30 (1.71 dollars) for 1 litre of diesel. Plus the 20% value added tax on everything we buy! plus they take 20% of what we earn and then we pay road tax on top of that lol goverments are greedy wherever you live
not complaining at all. I consider it a bonus when taxes are not collected. Its the burden on the merchant that will effect everyone in increased costs. streamlining that, would lesson the impact..... Cherio

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taxes are government motivated,so deal with it in a meaningful way. As this post on tax being forced on us is based on government policies. I hate this as much as anyone else. The OP's Thread is based on Taxes increases by the governments, thus are politically motivated by nature. Post #20 is a indirect political statement as an example. "We just need to play their 'game'. Be like the greedy corporations that set up corporations outside of the US." (their = Government body) Yes????

Sorry Admin this OP's Thread Inspired my previous post/opinions , as I thought this kind of politics was allowed. My Bad. If any kind politics is not allowed on this site, then Please Delete this OP's Thread as well. Moving foward I will do my best to abide by the rules as well. Thanks: Admin

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 87 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back