New to Anemones

littlebrineshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m brand new to saltwater aquariums and my brother gave me a live rock with a bunch of very very tiny red anemones on it. All of them are maybe about 1cm or a half inch in diameter. I already have a tank of just sea monkies (it’s 5gallons with a FluvalSmart nano UV light, an air stone with a pump suitable for 30gallons, a heater rated for 5 gallons. I’ve properly salted the tank and added supplements for the algae, shrimp, and anemone on a regular basis. The shrimp have been acting as my filter and they do a fantastic job, but the anemone is covered in white algae and seems to stay closed a lot (it’s a little hard to see if it’s open because of how small they are).

it ate happily when it was first put in, didn’t spit out any black goo, just closed around a few baby shrimp, but since has been inactive and now it’s covered in a white algae crop. It doesn’t appear dead - none have detached, the color is still there, and my water is still clear - but all of the anemones are completely covered in white algae.

Should I be worried? They’re just not moving around much, and the shrimp haven’t gotten round to eating the algae off them yet. Besides the layer of growth, they look normal according to what other threads I’ve read say about how to tell if they’re dead. Should I just wait for the monkeys to multiply and eat the algae off?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m brand new to saltwater aquariums and my brother gave me a live rock with a bunch of very very tiny red anemones on it. All of them are maybe about 1cm or a half inch in diameter. I already have a tank of just sea monkies (it’s 5gallons with a FluvalSmart nano UV light, an air stone with a pump suitable for 30gallons, a heater rated for 5 gallons. I’ve properly salted the tank and added supplements for the algae, shrimp, and anemone on a regular basis. The shrimp have been acting as my filter and they do a fantastic job, but the anemone is covered in white algae and seems to stay closed a lot (it’s a little hard to see if it’s open because of how small they are).

it ate happily when it was first put in, didn’t spit out any black goo, just closed around a few baby shrimp, but since has been inactive and now it’s covered in a white algae crop. It doesn’t appear dead - none have detached, the color is still there, and my water is still clear - but all of the anemones are completely covered in white algae.

Should I be worried? They’re just not moving around much, and the shrimp haven’t gotten round to eating the algae off them yet. Besides the layer of growth, they look normal according to what other threads I’ve read say about how to tell if they’re dead. Should I just wait for the monkeys to multiply and eat the algae off?
Are you testing this tank and how?
You said sea monkeys- likely adult brine shrimp. They are not long lived without planktonic foods for survival.
Anemones or Aptasia anemones- Can you provide pic under white lighting?
Algae- What light are you using? Also is the tank at or near a window?
What is your salinity ?

OP
OP
L

littlebrineshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing this tank and how?
You said sea monkeys- likely adult brine shrimp. They are not long lived without planktonic foods for survival.
Anemones or Aptasia anemones- Can you provide pic under white lighting?
Algae- What light are you using? Also is the tank at or near a window?
What is your salinity ?
I've tested with standard spectrum strips and calcium test kits and adjusted water parameters accordingly - I'm not new to aquariums themselves, I've had a freshwater one and kept it up myself without issues since I was 15 - over a decade. The water recieved a 1/3 change with appropriate prep to the new water a day or so ago to balance out the shrimp population going up, but the anemones have been covered in algae for over a week now with no visible changes to their health. I've avoided moving or touching the rock as much as possible and after the initial feeding the shrimp steer clear of the opened anemones.

Yes, I’m aware the sea monkies are brine shrimp. I have done loads of research on them, I’m really just looking for the answer to my question as to whether the anemones should be cleaned off without help of the shrimp, as I don’t want to touch them and cause undue stress unless it’s necessary.
The brine shrimp been growing well so I’m not worried about them, and I feed them a few mls of algae tab (broken down in conditioned salted water) about once a week to make sure the babies are fed. The adults are able to graze on the stringy white algae and the larger particles of algae tab.

attached is the living rock covered in anemones.

my tank as stated above has a FluvalSmart marine nano light with UV spectrum. It’s set very low - each color at about 1-10% because my tank is opposite a window and I keep the curtains open for as long as I’m awake.

The salinity is 30ppt and the specific gravity is 1.022.

B75016D0-564A-408D-8369-36E394AE003E.jpeg

Last edited:

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I’m aware the sea monkies are brine shrimp. I have done loads of research on them, I’m really just looking for the answer to my question as to whether the anemones should be cleaned off without help of the shrimp, as I don’t want to touch them and cause undue stress unless it’s necessary.
The brine shrimp been growing well so I’m not worried about them, and I feed them a few mls of algae tab (broken down in conditioned salted water) about once a week to make sure the babies are fed. The adults are able to graze on the stringy white algae and the larger particles of algae tab.

my tank as stated above has a FluvalSmart marine nano light with UV spectrum. It’s set very low - each color at about 1-10% because my tank is opposite a window and I keep the curtains open for as long as I’m awake.

the anemones are hard to make out is there anyway you can get a closer picture of one?
looks like possibly aipstatia anemones, which are not good and if you can remove the rock and then that would be best.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Shrimp need minimum 1.024 and your tank has no buffering due to use of aquarium gravel which offers zero buffering (you want crushed coral or live sand). The algae as suspected is from nearby window. The power of UV is strong and will penetrate shades/blinds/curtains. Place a piece of black construction paper on side facing window and algae will minimize.
As for anemones, shrimp other than peppermint will not eat aptasia anemones which is what I suspect you have an are considered pest anemones. Best removal since rock is covered is to make a paste. Using syringe, inject kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core of each one and they will melt away one by one.
Test strip are literally useless and provide false results- best for a freshwater tank and calcium tests pertain to coral and not rock

Last edited:

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp need minimum 1.024 and your tank has no buffering due to use of aquarium gravel which offers zero buffering (you want crushed coral or live sand). The algae as suspected is from nearby window. The power of UV is strong and will penetrate shades/blinds/curtains. Place a piece of black construction paper on side facing window and algae will minimize.
As for anemones, shrimp other than peppermint will not eat aptasia anemones which is what I suspect you have an are considered pest anemones. Best removal since rock is covered is to make a paste. Using syringe, inject kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core of each one and they will melt away one by one.
I would go for full removal of the rock if at all possible and clean it off outside of the aquarium

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would go for full removal of the rock if at all possible and clean it off outside of the aquarium
he's trying to preserve the live culture although with aquarium gravel, might as well treat the whole rock, put in crushed coral and add bacteria.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he's trying to preserve the live culture although with aquarium gravel, might as well treat the whole rock, put in crushed coral and add bacteria.
I'd pull the rock and freshwater gravel. Add new crushed coral and add a brand new white rock with some Dr. Tim's Bacteria starter. might as well just get back to basics, you'll be happier in the end.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'd pull the rock and freshwater gravel. Add new crushed coral and add a brand new white rock with some Dr. Tim's Bacteria starter. might as well just get back to basics, you'll be happier in the end.
I stated that to him already. Been doing this 40 years. Im fully aware but doesnt sound like advice is taken to heart

OP
OP
L

littlebrineshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a huge difference between pest nems and usual ones besides i assume size? These were purchased at a pet store, on purpose - I was hoping to keep them alive. Is it too detrimental to my tank to do so? I have a liquid version of that supplement, If that'll work I can remove them that way, I suppose.

I do have some live sand - it's layered beneath the gravel to keep it from releasing too much ammonia/nitrite while waste is breaking down [small tank] /keep the substrate from mixing too much with the water since I have no filter to keep the water clear.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is there a huge difference between pest nems and usual ones besides i assume size? These were purchased at a pet store, on purpose - I was hoping to keep them alive. Is it too detrimental to my tank to do so? I have a liquid version of that supplement, If that'll work I can remove them that way, I suppose.

I do have some live sand - it's layered beneath the gravel to keep it from releasing too much ammonia/nitrite while waste is breaking down [small tank] /keep the substrate from mixing too much with the water since I have no filter to keep the water clear.
Live sand will not release ammonia as ammonia is a by-product of waste.
Yes- the aptasia is undesired but are easy care requiring literally no maintenance but not favorable with fish. If no fish, peppermint shrimp (certain type) will eat them one by one. The gravel is actually of disadvantage and may even leach colors into water.
Your best bet would be small water changes for ammonia/nitrate control with a regular airline tubing for protection of the monkeys.
A regular ammonia test kit other than api brand will help you greatly with monitoring ammonia levels and with sea monkeys only should remain low

OP
OP
L

littlebrineshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for full removal of the rock if at all possible and clean it off outside of t

the anemones are hard to make out is there anyway you can get a closer picture of one?
looks like possibly aipstatia anemones, which are not good and if you can remove the rock and then that would be best.
oh, thats. sad. scummy of the petshop to sell it as a regular anemone then :/ gimme one sec and ill try to get a better pic

sorry it’s so dark ! The light is transitioning to nighttime. All the dark under the gravel is sand and substrate. When I can scrape some money together I plan to add to the substrate so that it can be more effective at breaking things down :)

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

littlebrineshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep it in mind, thank you. I have a decent bacteria culture already, the tank is relatively new. I appreciate the specifics for the salinity for the shrimp from this thread :) The internet is vague at best about it. I've added more salt, and im going to try washing the anemones off, if they decide to open i may keep them, if not, ill have to get rid of them. thank you all so much!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I will keep it in mind, thank you. I have a decent bacteria culture already, the tank is relatively new. I appreciate the specifics for the salinity for the shrimp from this thread :) The internet is vague at best about it. I've added more salt, and im going to try washing the anemones off, if they decide to open i may keep them, if not, ill have to get rid of them. thank you all so much!
Youre on your way. Many pet stores will try and sell a dead fish LOL.
Owning an LFS, I always aked customers questions and gave out care sheets and offered info. Not sure why they cant do the same

OP
OP
L

littlebrineshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre on your way. Many pet stores will try and sell a dead fish LOL.
Owning an LFS, I always aked customers questions and gave out care sheets and offered info. Not sure why they cant do the same
they can be so scummy. I've long loved bettas and long hated how petshops sell them, right next to fishbowls instead of tanks. on the brighter side, my monkeys look happier with the added salt already :]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back