New to aquariums ...loving saltwater

thegunslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to what your Dragonet is eating? So your tank cycled for a total of a month? Did you have any algae out break?
We added a supplement recommended by our LFS, plus we had a decent amount of pods running around. No hair algae, just the green stuff around the walls, but we have 3 turbos and a few other assorted small snails so it's kept in check.

What kind of sand is that and how deep is it?
I wish I had paid more attention to the type of sand when we bought it, but I don't know anymore. When we "went nuclear" and emptied out the tank, I removed about half the sand. Current depth is 2".

kevinsmixed90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o.k, I was wondering if that was the sand from when you had cichlids as it may be leaching something into your water column that marine critters do not like.. just something to consider.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, it is great to have you guys here. Of course it is hard to tell from here what went wrong with your tank. I have my ideas but can't be sure without seeing the dead fish. Did they have their mouth wide open when they first died or did they swim around in circles or gasp from the surface. Obviousely I am thinking ammonia as it looks like way to many fish to soon. I know you cycled the tank but when you cycle a tank with say a dead shrimp, there is only enough bacteria in there to process a dead shrimp and nothing else. Wildlife must be added very slowly to allow the bacteria to grow in proportion to the waste of the fish which I am sure you know is ammonia. Bacteria take about 3 months to grow (give or take a month) and can easily be overwhelmed if to many fish are added at the start. Good luck and have fun

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 42.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.4%

Back