New to carbon dosing

Prestomagic17*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started dosing Tropic Marin Bacto Balance for 2 weeks now. Started with .25 and attempted to up the dosage to .5 based on length of aquarium today 1/19. Noticed alot of Alcaligenes faecalis instantly. I am also running bio pellets. Should I remove biopellets or stop dosing Bacro Balance? My pan is to do 10% water change stop carbon dosing for a week and just continue dosing the minimum. 25. I read up on
Alcaligenes faecalis Bacteria added some worry. Appreciate any knowledge

40 gallons in volume handful of corals.
Parameters
Salinity 1.024
Phosphates: .01 (was .03 before dosing)
Calcium: 454
Magnesium: 1460
Alk: 9.9

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know about that particular product, sorry. If bacto balance is organic carbon, then that is very similar to the bio pellets and you don't likely have to do both. When dosing organic carbon, the high tide lifts all ships... you just don't get grow some types of bacteria and not others, so bad (like even fish bacterial infections) can increase too.

OP
OP
Prestomagic17*

Prestomagic17*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know about that particular product, sorry. If bacto balance is organic carbon, then that is very similar to the bio pellets and you don't likely have to do both. When dosing organic carbon, the high tide lifts all ships... you just don't get grow some types of bacteria and not others, so bad (like even fish bacterial infections) can increase too.
I listened to a couple of Lou's talks from tropic marin. He talked about carbon dosing and using pellets in conjuction with dosing. However the Tropic marin bio pellets probably differ from traditional bio pellets in some way ‍♂️

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I listened to a couple of Lou's talks from tropic marin. He talked about carbon dosing and using pellets in conjuction with dosing. However the Tropic marin bio pellets probably differ from traditional bio pellets in some way ‍♂️
This is true, the TM NP BACTO Pellets are somewhat different in composition from some of the other pellets on the market. Although I don't know specifics because I don't work for those other companies, so I don't know exactly what is in their products. NPBACTO BALANCE works very well in conjunction with our NP BACTO Pellets.

In relation to your bacterial growth, it could theoretically be a result of the carbon dosing. But in my opinion, it is probably more related to the addition of the trace elements that you are adding when using the NP BACTO Balance. If there was some trace element depletion in the system, and then you start with the NP BACTO Balance, the fulfilment of that depletion may lead to some bacterial growth.

My suggestion is to stop the NP BACTO Balance and let the bacteria die off. Then try again with a slightly smaller dose of the NPBB.

OP
OP
Prestomagic17*

Prestomagic17*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true, the TM NP BACTO Pellets are somewhat different in composition from some of the other pellets on the market. Although I don't know specifics because I don't work for those other companies, so I don't know exactly what is in their products. NPBACTO BALANCE works very well in conjunction with our NP BACTO Pellets.

In relation to your bacterial growth, it could theoretically be a result of the carbon dosing. But in my opinion, it is probably more related to the addition of the trace elements that you are adding when using the NP BACTO Balance. If there was some trace element depletion in the system, and then you start with the NP BACTO Balance, the fulfilment of that depletion may lead to some bacterial growth.

My suggestion is to stop the NP BACTO Balance and let the bacteria die off. Then try again with a slightly smaller dose of the NPBB.
Thanks for the input. As far as Trace elements, I rely on All for Reef. On the bright side there has been a significant increase in polyp extention and coloration. Results have been positive other than the bacteria growth. Confident if I reset and keep the dose at .25, it will "Balance".

Wanting to switch to TM Bacto Pellets.
Plan will be to switch out bio pellets to NP Pellets, run for a month and then introduce the Carbon "BACTO Balance".

Dkillen28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"t is probably more related to the addition of the trace elements that you are adding when using the NP Bacto Balance"
Does this mean bacto balance contains the trace elements in A, K? How would implementing bacto balance affect dosing A&K?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back