New to clams help

Hunter399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a new clam for my tank. It is really small probably 1.5-2” max. I have really fine sand and it keeps getting tipped over. I was given a couple small pieces of rubble rock, does it need to attach to one? I also ordered the clam hammock from Brightwell aquatics but realize it’s gonna be too big. Any suggestions or help? Also sand gets on it here and there from my clowns.

I already dose Algae Barn phytoplankton daily and feed reef roids to my coral as well as LRS.

9246A938-21EF-4E47-961B-15F251866115.jpeg

D9A7CD59-6DED-4239-A9CF-634D05BD02DE.jpeg

Joel B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it being knocked over because of the flow, or because of the fish? If it's flow, you're going to need to find a way to tone that down, either by moving the clam to lower-flow area or reducing the pump power. You could also try burying him slightly to see if that helps, just divet out the sand, place him in the hole and then push the sand back up against the shell.

Looks like a Derasa, which means it's a sand-dweller that doesn't necessarily need anything to attach to but they can. Also, don't direct-feed it anything, that will cause problems. Introduce the food to the water column and let him filter it out normally. I'd use the hammock even if it's too big, just bury it.

OP
OP
Hunter399

Hunter399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, yeah I put a couple rocks by it. My sand is just terrible, a little sand on it won’t hurt it right?

image.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to keep it upright and unmolested. Just a few rocks on each side where it can still fully open is OK. Feedings won't do anything, but they will not hurt if you really want to.

This T. Deresa is a sand dweller and happy to be down there.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back