New to clown fish, got a group, two fighting.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've only ever kept one pair of clown fish so I am not very versed with them. My friend was tearing down his tank and I was going to take a few fish. Ended getting a lot, including a group of 5 ocellaris that have been living together for over a year (or so I know it's been a while). Last night everyone was doing okay, little aggression between the smallest ones. Though this morning after lights went on the two smallest ones became extremely aggressive, at first non stop attacking each other and biting onto each other. Things have calmed down a little as the bigger fish have got in the way but they are still aggressive.
The tank is a 150 and they were kept in a 120.
My friend says that they weren't this aggressive before.

Is this normal behavior for an established group going into a new tank? Or should I separate them before I go to work and come home with one dead?

Also I don't have any nems, it's a fresher tank so am I doing something impossible here? Friend didn't have nems either but did have corals coating the rocks

Attachments

• 20230809_101519.mp4
    45.8 MB
OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. As I was posting put some food in since not all the fish ate last night and they calmed down a lot. Going to monitor before leaving but I belive it's food aggression

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got them last night so figured not everyone would accept food, most did though.

dopierfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All clown fish are born male. They will fight each other if they are falling In love . They will fight until Mother Nature decides to turn one trans and it magically becomes a female you have a pair that’s ganna breed soon my guy.
I couldn’t honestly tell watching the video they just look like there getting accidentally to close but if one them starts making a little divot in the substrate and then eats that spot for a little longer then fish usually do then the other one will plop eggs there

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Averted. It was food aggression. Honestly I never thought I would keep clown fish in a group but ended up with these guys and thought it'd be okay since they are established.
Hope everything is smooth sailing from here, any group advise please let me know though.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Averted. It was food aggression. Honestly I never thought I would keep clown fish in a group but ended up with these guys and thought it'd be okay since they are established.
Hope everything is smooth sailing from here, any group advise please let me know though.
Glad the issue was averted!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back