New to clown fish, got a group, two fighting.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bryce M.
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 28, 2018
Messages
1,492
Reaction score
1,976
Location
US
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've only ever kept one pair of clown fish so I am not very versed with them. My friend was tearing down his tank and I was going to take a few fish. Ended getting a lot, including a group of 5 ocellaris that have been living together for over a year (or so I know it's been a while). Last night everyone was doing okay, little aggression between the smallest ones. Though this morning after lights went on the two smallest ones became extremely aggressive, at first non stop attacking each other and biting onto each other. Things have calmed down a little as the bigger fish have got in the way but they are still aggressive.
The tank is a 150 and they were kept in a 120.
My friend says that they weren't this aggressive before.

Is this normal behavior for an established group going into a new tank? Or should I separate them before I go to work and come home with one dead?

Also I don't have any nems, it's a fresher tank so am I doing something impossible here? Friend didn't have nems either but did have corals coating the rocks
 

Attachments

  • 20230809_101519.mp4
    45.8 MB
Update. As I was posting put some food in since not all the fish ate last night and they calmed down a lot. Going to monitor before leaving but I belive it's food aggression
 
Just got them last night so figured not everyone would accept food, most did though.
 
All clown fish are born male. They will fight each other if they are falling In love . They will fight until Mother Nature decides to turn one trans and it magically becomes a female you have a pair that’s ganna breed soon my guy.
I couldn’t honestly tell watching the video they just look like there getting accidentally to close but if one them starts making a little divot in the substrate and then eats that spot for a little longer then fish usually do then the other one will plop eggs there
 
Averted. It was food aggression. Honestly I never thought I would keep clown fish in a group but ended up with these guys and thought it'd be okay since they are established.
Hope everything is smooth sailing from here, any group advise please let me know though.
 
Averted. It was food aggression. Honestly I never thought I would keep clown fish in a group but ended up with these guys and thought it'd be okay since they are established.
Hope everything is smooth sailing from here, any group advise please let me know though.
Glad the issue was averted!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new