New to Coral, what’s happened to my GSP?

GeorgeTinck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I bought this gsp 2 days ago and the polyps were closing and opening as they should as the light turned on and off although I came home from work this and the polyps haven’t opened up. Nitrates at 10ppm, nitrite/ammonia 0ppm, pH 8.0, salinity 1.26, temp 26 Celsius. Any help is appreciated also if there is a better light setup I could be using let me know.

Cheers

IMG_4048.jpeg IMG_4049.png

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? I know everyone says they are easy and grow like weeds but they died everytime I tried them early on. Tank is going on 7 years old and I finally have one thriving.

EDIT : not saying yours is dying as they sometimes get moody.

OP
OP
G

GeorgeTinck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? I know everyone says they are easy and grow like weeds but they died everytime I tried them early on. Tank is going on 7 years old and I finally have one thriving.
Been running it as a FOWLR tank for past 7 months, your comments not filled me with confidence

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty normal for green stars. They close up for pretty long periods of time. Someone here knows why. I don't.

Regardless, I think even a novice could grow those things in a toilet with nothing more than a salt packet from wendys and a Walmart halogen work light.

In other words, you are probably fine. If it's deteriorating, the rich purple flesh will start to turn a subdued version of purple and the edges will start deteriorating.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your flow like?
It's been so long since I've had green stars I forgot that blasting them with flow will close them up. Feels good to say that.

I took my wife miliporaand tenius shopping yesterday. She wanted green stars... I told her to go the truck.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I bought this gsp 2 days ago and the polyps were closing and opening as they should as the light turned on and off although I came home from work this and the polyps haven’t opened up. Nitrates at 10ppm, nitrite/ammonia 0ppm, pH 8.0, salinity 1.26, temp 26 Celsius. Any help is appreciated also if there is a better light setup I could be using let me know.

Cheers

IMG_4048.jpeg IMG_4049.png
I'd give them a few more days to acclimate. GSP are very forgiving, but they too need some time to adjust.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been so long since I've had green stars I forgot that blasting them with flow will close them up. Feels good to say that.

I took my wife miliporaand tenius shopping yesterday. She wanted green stars... I told her to go the truck.
Sounds like permission for another tank? :grinning-squinting-face:

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like permission for another tank? :grinning-squinting-face:
Imagine starting a "green star tank". Full disclosure to all involved. I think green stars are gorgeous. I quite like them. But there is no sand bed vast enough to stop their spread. Like a camel in the desert, they always make it across the barren landscape.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine starting a "green star tank". Full disclosure to all involved. I think green stars are gorgeous. I quite like them. But there is no sand bed vast enough to stop their spread. Like a camel in the desert, they always make it across the barren landscape.
I know a local reefer who is very popular on instagram for his gsp tank. I was the one who actually gave him the starting frag for it a couple years ago. It's awesome to see what he did with it. GSP tanks are very cool. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be fussy at times.
168850320784456564594477289583.jpg

I put a small frag in my long running tank and they took quite a while to be comfortable.
Eventually they took off and started going crazy.
Be patient and consistent. Don't blow them around until they get established and give them a little more white light.
Always patient patient patient.
Now they're in two tanks.
Some people hate them.
I enjoy the color they bring.
But, you do have to be careful what you wish for.
16885032311431570693361953642662.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back