New to cycling saltwater tank

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,
So I’ve started to do a saltwater tank, i have a 20gal tank and this is the 4th day it cycled.. does it have to spike up more? When do i do a water change and what percentage? ill put my parameters and lmk how it is.. any corrections/advise would be greatly appreciated.. thank you

SALTWATER MASTER KIT:

Nitrate- 160ppm
Nitrite- 2.0ppm
Ammonia- 0ppm
PH- 8.4

SALINITY- 1.024

REEF MASTER KIT:

Nitrate- 160ppm
Phospate- 1.0ppm
Calcium- 340ppm
KH- 161.1ppm

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems pretty fast for a cycle.. how did you start it? Dry rock or live rock? The nitrite reading is what’s throwing off your nitrate reading “making it high” btw, welcome to r2r!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,
So I’ve started to do a saltwater tank, i have a 20gal tank and this is the 4th day it cycled.. does it have to spike up more? When do i do a water change and what percentage? ill put my parameters and lmk how it is.. any corrections/advise would be greatly appreciated.. thank you

SALTWATER MASTER KIT:

Nitrate- 160ppm
Nitrite- 2.0ppm
Ammonia- 0ppm
PH- 8.4

SALINITY- 1.024

REEF MASTER KIT:

Nitrate- 160ppm
Phospate- 1.0ppm
Calcium- 340ppm
KH- 161.1ppm
What was the highest your ammonia tested?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

SALTWATER MASTER KIT:

Nitrate- 160ppm
Nitrite- 2.0ppm
Ammonia- 0ppm
PH- 8.4

SALINITY- 1.024

REEF MASTER KIT:

Nitrate- 160ppm
Phospate- 1.0ppm
Calcium- 340ppm
KH- 161.1ppm
And have you read this yet?

OP
OP
CABIX_81

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had it a month but thing didn’t work out,, a freind gave me thise regeants and thiught it would have a chance,, during my process of cycling amonth ago rhe parameters where the same reads,, so ive contact the person who gave me hes old regeant sfrom 5-6yrs ago (lol) that means i got to buy new master kit and now parameters spikes..

Ive us dry rock and not sure what sand he gave me think its pink fiji

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had it a month but thing didn’t work out,, a freind gave me thise regeants and thiught it would have a chance,, during my process of cycling amonth ago rhe parameters where the same reads,, so ive contact the person who gave me hes old regeant sfrom 5-6yrs ago (lol) that means i got to buy new master kit and now parameters spikes..

Ive us dry rock and not sure what sand he gave me think its pink fiji
If I understand, the tank has actually been running for a month?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes with fish in it,, i know its to early to put fish in , i was to excited.. so I’ve started all over with rhe new master kits..
Oh, you mean you started testing.
Well, if you haven't done one at all, you probably could use a good water change, maybe 5 gallons or so. General rule of thumb is a 10% water change each, or every other week.
API test kits are not the best, but for FOLR they are ok, imho. Don't worry about Nitrite, just Nitrate.

OP
OP
CABIX_81

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change for a 20gal? Yes im using the api reef and salt master kit, what about top off?
Oh, you mean you started testing.
Well, if you haven't done one at all, you probably could use a good water change, maybe 5 gallons or so. General rule of thumb is a 10% water change each, or every other week.
API test kits are not the best, but for FOLR they are ok, imho. Don't worry about Nitrite, just Nitrate.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have waited to put fish in, and I would do a water change to bring nitrates down. 160 nitrates is super high and generally not healthy for fish, I like to keep it around 20

OP
OP
CABIX_81

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will do,, whats best to use natural seawater or mix? I have access to both and note,,
We do not have a LFS where i live
I would have waited to put fish in, and I would do a water change to bring nitrates down. 160 nitrates is super high and generally not healthy for fish, I like to keep it around 20

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw would putting a peice of shrimp works with cycling?
A piece of shrimp will work to get a cycle started in a just filled tank. You have had fish in your tank fore about a month, right? You don't have to worry about the cycle anymore, because it is already cycled. Now you just have to take care of regular maintenance. You know, water changes, etc.

How many fish do you have? What kind?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change for a 20gal? Yes im using the api reef and salt master kit, what about top off?
And yes, you will need to top off the tank with FRESH water to replace what is lost to evaporation. When sea water evaporates, it leaves the salt behind. If you don't add fresh water to make that up, the salinity will keep going up and up. That will make your critters in there unhappy.

OP
OP
CABIX_81

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A piece of shrimp will work to get a cycle started in a just filled tank. You have had fish in your tank fore about a month, right? You don't have to worry about the cycle anymore, because it is already cycled. Now you just have to take care of regular maintenance. You know, water changes, etc.

How many fish do you have? What kind?
Little over 2weeks, 3 small covict tangs and 2 small squirrel fish i took off of a shoreline pond at night,, could they possibly died from my high parameters beside how early i put them in?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little over 2weeks, 3 small covict tangs and 2 small squirrel fish i took off of a shoreline pond at night,, could they possibly died from my high parameters beside how early i put them in?
I'm hardly a fish expert, but I think that's an awful lot of fish for a 20 gallon. Just say'in. You may want to do some research on them before long.

OP
OP
CABIX_81

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, you will need to top off the tank with FRESH water to replace what is lost to evaporation. When sea water evaporates, it leaves the salt behind. If you don't add fresh water to make that up, the salinity will keep going up and up. That will make your critters in there unhappy.
Does mix or seawater help for top off? I’ve tried using mix and adding api tap water conditioner

OP
OP
CABIX_81

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hardly a fish expert, but I think that's an awful lot of fish for a 20 gallon. Just say'in. You may want to do some research on them before long.
Well if all my parameters are on point and nor ideal,, im just planning on getting 2 clownsfish with inverts

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back