New to dosing nitrate and phosphate. Advice welcome!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my case, 110 x 0.1 x 18.9 = 20.8mL. I might start with half that; 20mL of phosphate just makes me a little nervous haha!

That's because 0.10 is considered a moderately large amount of PO4.
That's sometimes my target level but I would only add like 1/3 or less of that in a day.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because 0.10 is considered a moderately large amount of PO4.
That's sometimes my target level but I would only add like 1/3 or less of that in a day.
Sorry, I’m meant 0.01 not 0.1. Disregard the 0.1 in my last post. Anyways I think I’ll start with 5 ml (1/4 dose) and go up from there.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see now. 0.01 is nothing to be concerned about.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, how has everyone done with dosing nitrate and phosphate?

While I never had to do it, my assessment of the many folks that do it and report back is generally positive.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going well. I still find it tough to get my numbers as high as I'd like them but at least now the nitrates and phosphates are off of undetectable!
But what about your tank? Did it accomplish what you wanted in your corals? What type of corals do you have? Any challenges or setbacks?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what about your tank? Did it accomplish what you wanted in your corals? What type of corals do you have? Any challenges or setbacks?

Thanks!

My tank is looking great. Growth is rapid, colours are I'd say 80% of where I'd like them but that's not all nutrient related. I have a mixed reef that leans heavily towards SPS. Challenges are keeping the nutrients high enough. I find they drift low/undetectable in a couple weeks if I don't up the dosing.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is looking great. Growth is rapid, colours are I'd say 80% of where I'd like them but that's not all nutrient related. I have a mixed reef that leans heavily towards SPS. Challenges are keeping the nutrients high enough. I find they drift low/undetectable in a couple weeks if I don't up the dosing.

But is the rapid growth a result of nitrate and phosphate dosing, in your opinion? When they drift to low/undetectable every now and then, do you have to reduce your dosing to compensate for slowed growth?

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I feel growth sped up once I had somewhat consistent nutrients in the water. No, I do not slow my nutrient dosing down based on perceived growth. I only adjust it based on water test results.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I feel growth sped up once I had somewhat consistent nutrients in the water. No, I do not slow my nutrient dosing down based on perceived growth. I only adjust it based on water test results.
You feel growth increased or did your alk consumption actually increase?

Sorry I wasnt clear. I meant do you have to reduce your alk dosing when the nutrients fall too low? You said the challenge is keeping the nutrients high enough because they drop to low/undetectable if you dont up the nutrient dosing after a certain period of time. When that happens, before you up the nutrient dosing to compensate, do you have to reduce your alk dosing to compensate for slowed growth and prevent a rise in dKH?

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been constantly dialling up Alk and Ca dosing quantities over the past 3 years. I do not reduce those two parameters unless testing is climbing too high which doesn't really happen in my tank. If anything, I have a difficult time keeping my Alk high enough at the best of times. I run a fine line of 6.8-7.8 dKh.

So simple answer, no, I do not dial down Alk if my nutrients become low/undetectable.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like a properly maintained system if you ask me. Strong work!

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been constantly dialling up Alk and Ca dosing quantities over the past 3 years. I do not reduce those two parameters unless testing is climbing too high which doesn't really happen in my tank. If anything, I have a difficult time keeping my Alk high enough at the best of times. I run a fine line of 6.8-7.8 dKh.

So simple answer, no, I do not dial down Alk if my nutrients become low/undetectable.
So growth is not significantly slowed when they bottom out, or sped up when they arent. That is what I was trying to find out.

Thanks

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started doing the same. It's funny with all the tech out today, really all thats needed is just phophate and nitrates. After messing around with it for a couple weeks, I can bring down 20ppm to <1ppm in 2-3 days by just adding nitrates. Same goes for the reverse, if phophates are too high, I can just add more nitrates and watch them drop. Need to be careful because its easy to bottom them out. What I have also noticed is at different ratios, different types of things grow. 0 po4 = dinos. High nitrates and barely detectable phophates = chrysophytes. GFO, carbon dosing, reactors, none of that is really needed. All you need is nitrates and phosphates to control each other.

This is interesting. If I understand correctly you mean if my PO4 is high I dose nitrate and PO4 will drop.
Same if NO3 high I dose PO4 and NO3 will drop?

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals require both to grow properly, so if one is lacking then the other wont get consumed by the corals. Supply the lacking nutrient and both will consumed.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a balance. When the table tilts too much in either direction it throws the tank off. Every tank is different though. Also consider if your tank is new or an older established tank. Older tanks tolerate swings a lot better.

I like my Nitrates about 5-8 ppm and my Phosphate about 0.03-0.05. Keeps things happy and colorful.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back