New to Florida

PSLReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Longtime reefer here, been in saltwater for 10 years now. Really not a fan of national forums...

Any local clubs that are actually ACTIVE in the treasure coast area? I live in Port St Lucie. Also any lfs in this area beside the 2 crappy ones: fintastic and aquatics and exotics?

Thanks!

OP
OP
PSLReefer

PSLReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, ya the wife wanted to move there but I wanted to be by the coast and as far south as I can afford being inside 95.

I foresee many trips to Orlando in the future!

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I’m actually driving past Port Saint Lucie now. I might go look at some up a little farther north in cocoa beach area

OP
OP
PSLReefer

PSLReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I like st lucie aquatics a bit of a tiny store though, hopefully they can expand. I saw a few things from there I'll be picking up. In fact the guy was going to help me move the tank but saw my neighbor first, ha.

I did see the ad on craigslist about the fish store opening soon. That's the one gonna be by bayshore?

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm from PSL and still have family there, so I travel down every couple months from Gainesville. PSL used to have an ok selection of stores, but the real way I got my collector pieces and deals was dealing with locals. In the past 1-2 years a couple of stores of closed/moved. I would frequently make the drive to Vero and go to Treasure Coast corals. The owner's name is John, very nice guy and I would recommend the drive once a month.

I visited St. Lucie aquatics last time I was in town, and they seemed like they will do well in time.

As for fintastic, im not sure what day during the week you went, but that was one of my go-to's for deals. You should sign up for their newsletter. Basically in the start of the week they are loaded up with a big variety, for VERY cheap. After 2-3 days they're usually cleaned out uuntil the next week.

There are a ton of reefers in that area though, just try meeting people at the stores or their FB pages.

As for clubs, I've been away from PSL for about 4 years, and we didn't really have one just for psl locals. I worked part time in petco while I was in school, fixing their aquatics section. That's where I met a lot of people. I'm sure there's a club or something now. You can pm me if you'd like, and I can text my buddies back in psl to see if there's any clubs or meets closer to psl.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 27 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 100 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back