New to hobby - 29 gallon biocube

coral-craving

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I just recently purchased a new biocube and thought I'd would join a forum and document it's progress. If anyone has any suggestions or questions feel free to let me know. I'm new to the hobby so any help is much appreciated.

My current set up is a 29 gallon biocube which I immediately discarded the hood of and made rimless. I purchased a full spectrum 165w LED light fixture and made a bracket to hold it. I also upgraded the pump head to a Maxi-Jet 1200 and installed a Koralia 850gph circulation pump. I added 28 lbs of live rock and 30 lbs of live sand, and for filtration I'm running Chemi-Pure Elite, Purigen, De-Nitrate Biomedia, and a pad of Poly Filter placed on top of two pieces of Eshopps sump foam. I'm also currently running an Eheim Jäger 100w heater. In the very near future plan on adding an Intank media basket and the Tunze 9002 protien skimmer along with the upgraded Intank cup as well as purchasing and ATO system.

Since the first of the first pieces of livestock I plan on adding to the tank (aside from my CUC) is a Blue-Spotted Jawfish I made a DIY screen top (due to the fact that they are notorious jumpers). I went to Lowes and purchased a window screen kit and shaped it to fit the tank. Other livestock I plan on adding aside from a variety of corals, and after the clean up crew, are two Ocellaris Clown Fish (one black and one orange), a Fire Shrimp, a couple of Dartfish, and possibly a Hogfish (any suggestion on a specific/favorite type would be much appreciated).

The tank has now been cycling since last Thursday and I'm beginning to get a little ancy! I've been testing my parameters twice daily and I'm hoping to add my CUC on Thursday, but I'll wait longer if my levels aren't where they need to be. I'll post pictures and updates along the way. Feel free to offer any advice that you may have.

Ohh, and on a side note, I purched all my water from my LFS and have been dosing it daily with Seachem Stability. I also added a raw shrimp in hopes of boosting the cycling process.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 220
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 204
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 573

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a great start! Instead of the koralia ph I'd suggest either a jebao wp10 or vortech mp10 they will circulate the whole tank with waves and makes corals look awesome! Btw I have a tunze 9002 I'd suggest a ATO before you bought this skimmer because it's sensitive to water level changes and being rimless your water will fluctuate daily! Which your skimmer will not like

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.:wave:

The tank looks fantastic, great job on doing your research. You'll love the Tunze. My only suggestion is the this tank can really only house 4 fish max.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Tank looks sweet! Nice aquascape!

OP
OP
C

coral-craving

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, thanks for all kind replies and useful feedback! I have a quick question regarding the cycling process I was hoping you would be able to help me with. My questions is this: If I were to change out my mechanical media for a different type of foam, one that's a bit more dense, would it throw off my cycle thus far or cause it to prolong itself in any way? It's only been cycling for about a week at this point, but as I stated in my previous post, I'm getting ancy and don't want to wait any longer than I absolutely have to. Thanks in advance for all the help!

OP
OP
C

coral-craving

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, sorry for all the typos in my posts. I was going back over all the responses I've gotten thus far and noticed that I had some mistakes in both of them. I've been doing everything from my cell phone and haven't been proof reading before I actually submit them. Hopefully you guys can make sense of what I mean.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can change out the filtration material, you're already using live rock I doubt there will be any interruption in the cycle.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back