New to Maxima Clams. Thoughts Please.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have had a "golden??" maxima clam for about a month now, and it seems to be doing well. The clam is about 2", anchored to a rock about mid tank by its own means. We stared the clam out with a clam blanket on the sand bed, moved it up slowly, and it has now ditched blanket and anchored itself using a hole in the rock. It is only about 3" from where the calm blanket was. It is sitting in about 325 peak par looking at my par tests from a while ago. Lighting is DIY Leds with more of a blue focus and the whites at 10-12k. 10 hour light period with a ramp up and down and only peak for 4 hours.

My questions are with growth and health.

I see a white ring at the top of the clam below where the mantle (think thats what its called lol) rests, right at the top of the shell. it is about 1/8" long and is slowly starting to look like the rest of the shell and that coloring is working from the bottom of this "ring" up. I assume this is growth?

Also, how do I tell if the thing is healthy? I was not able to do much research before getting it, as the wife just came home with it. It does extend, it does react if you slide a hand blocking light, and it seems to be getting used to fish swimming above it and only slightly twitching now when they do. It has also seemed to get used to my tailspot blenny cleaning the shell. Twitches at first and then is fine after the first few pecks of the shell.

Below is a Pic of the little fella. Sorry as it was taken when the lights were more on the blue side and my phone does not like that lol. All thoughts appreciated.

IMG_1351.jpg

gilman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white ring is indeed growth !

You have a healthy clam . Reacting the way it is is signs of a healthy alert clam . What you have to watch for is if the inhalent syphon starts to ‘gape’ open . Thats bad and usually means the clam isnt well . Clams also get mantle pinch which I believe is always fatal . With that you will notice the endges of the mantle ‘pinching’ or creasing all along the clam . Its very noticable .

Yours looks great though so i would worry , its beautiful !!!

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white ring is indeed growth !

You have a healthy clam . Reacting the way it is is signs of a healthy alert clam . What you have to watch for is if the inhalent syphon starts to ‘gape’ open . Thats bad and usually means the clam isnt well . Clams also get mantle pinch which I believe is always fatal . With that you will notice the endges of the mantle ‘pinching’ or creasing all along the clam . Its very noticable .

Yours looks great though so i would worry , its beautiful !!!
Awesome and thanks. I have also been feeding the tank via broadcast with gold phyto. It is funny when it starts to go by in the current. Kind of see the clam suck in the water, wait a few and spit it out. Interesting to watch for sure. My zoas also seem to love it lol.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking in. Clam has new growth and only reacts if my hand shades it. Doesn’t react to fish anymore and is even used to my tail spot blenny keeping its shell clean. I will grab a pic when I get off work.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking in. Clam has new growth and only reacts if my hand shades it. Doesn’t react to fish anymore and is even used to my tail spot blenny keeping its shell clean. I will grab a pic when I get off work.
Sounds like it's doing well, great to hear.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking Maxima;)

Back