New to me apex/trident no water sample

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased an apex EL and trident from someone local to me. I have the apex up and running and tonight started with the trident. When I plugged it in, it needed an update which was done. Then I selected prime all and it seemed like it worked for the reagents, but they probably were still primed since they had a little over half left in each reagent and I didn’t remove them. I have since tried to do the water sample separately a couple times and it has not been successful. I will admit I didn’t read directions til after, but in my defense the directions read like it was for a completely new setup which this is not, this has all been setup before. Not sure if anyone has experienced this or something similar but would be very grateful for any info/guidance on getting it working properly.

image.jpg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how long the Trident sat idle before you bought it, and whether the previous owner ran the Trident Shutdown task to flush out all the lines? If the Trident is offline for longer than 72 hours, the Shutdown task needs to be run so the liquids inside don't dry up and leave the tubes, pumps, and valves clogged with sediment.

The first thing I would recommend is removing the black sample line from the back of the Trident, including the little plastic union. Then attach that union and the tubing to a syringe full of RO/DI water and use the syringe to force the water through the tube. This can clear out any obstructions in the tube.

If it still doesn't work after that, there may be some clogged components inside, and contacting Neptune Support would be the best course of action.

Lambs-_-13read

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t have typed it any better +1. Also the fill vial (clear square sample reader) may have become clogged so a disassembly of the unit may be required to remove the salt that may be stuck. Adding pressure with a syringe may not alleviate the blockage as it just popped off the fill vial (it kept popping off with mine) causing spillage. Good luck and happy feeding.

OP
OP
CaptPatrick

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the info, will try when I get home tonight. I did remove the sample line last night and tried blowing through it but the line is so small didn’t seem to work well, so tried to suck water through it and got a little salt water but could have been left over from previous owner. When I removed the reagents and ran the sample line prime I saw a little movement through the line. I will investigate more tonight and get in touch with the seller to ask those questions.

OP
OP
CaptPatrick

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much! I used a needle and was able to get water through it, you guys were right, it must have been clogged, I was able to run my tests. I messaged the seller to ask if he did the shutdown and how long ago he stopped using it but never heard back, it all seems to be working properly now though. Thanks again for the help.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back