New (to me) Red Sea Reefer 170

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to upgrade my clown goby’s tank from a 5 gallon nano to a reefer 170 I bought today. I didn’t like how small the 5 gallon was and it didn’t seem fair to the fish so I think he’ll like all the new space. I’ve never had a sump or a protein skimmer or a tank this big sooo this should be interesting (any advice is appreciated lol). I have live rock from my 5 gallon and the tank came with 30 lbs of live rock. I will aquascape and add water tomorrow. This is what my sump looks like though.
image.jpg

I have a bubble magus curve 5 for the skimmer and a Sicce syncra 2.0 in there (also came with the tank). For now I have an Aquaknight as the light (that’s what I had on my 5gal) but I will be getting an AI Hydra 26 this weekend. The tank also came with an EcoTech wave maker but I’m not gonna put that on until I aquascape. I had a reef tank for about 5 years in middle and high school, but I gave my tank away and only started again this past year (I’m a junior in college). Right now, I’m trying to decide what type of filter media I should run and how exactly I do that in the sump. So, any advice is highly appreciated! That’s enough rambling! I’ll update tomorrow when I have a chance to go to the LFS and get sand and water and stuff.

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also, it came with a sea cucumber, which I’ve heard can be toxic but also beneficial? So I’m wondering what people’s experiences are with sea cucumbers and what I should do with it if I don’t want to keep it.

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! Finally got it set up yesterday. It’s not much yet, but I think it’s going to look good! My clown goby certainly likes it. I’m not the best aquascaper, but I’m honestly really happy with how the rock looks. (I’m also not the best photographer so any tips on that are appreciated as well lol)
26F17C57-6DCC-40E7-B8D1-DFAB4CB764F5.jpeg
CD89C47B-7F4D-4903-94FE-5CF2E3B91606.jpeg
EFF0EDDD-BE3C-4FB8-AB2F-E015E958EDB2.jpeg

Kyle T.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquascape looks great, and will look even better once you get more corals going! If you want to keep things simple, in the sump you could simply keep the filtration as is with the filter socks and skimmer. If you add more fish and the skimmer isn’t keeping up with nutrient reduction, there is an option to add a refugium or possibly getting a media reactor to run GFO for phosphate removal.

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I’m so so excited to continue adding to this tank. I think I’m going to run some BRS carbon in a filter bag for now just to take out any yellow pigment and stuff like that. And then I’ll add GFO if phosphates become an issue.

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4405E68E-7740-4050-8680-287F6D41C6D0.jpeg
I just got my AI Hydra 26 on the tank and I looove it. I don’t think you can tell much of a difference from the picture, but it looks soooo much better than the Aquaknight I had on it temporarily. And there is no more disco ball effect (which was driving me CRAZY). I have it on acclimation mode rn. Overall the tank seems to be doing well, although there does seem to be a small cyano outbreak on the sand which I think is probably due to the fact that I put in like 40lbs of live rock for a clown goby and some inverts (that makes sense right?). I ordered a DIY screen lid kit so I’ll update again after that comes in the mail :)

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One reason I don’t normally do these kinds of threads is I always forget to update! The lid caMe in and I’d say I did a pretty good job for someone who’s never used a hacksaw before lol.

In more exciting news, a family friend of mine was clearing out their frag tank so I have A BUNCH of new frags! I got even more GSP, 2 Superman shrooms, some rastas, some green bay packers, and the shining stars: a 6 head frogspawn (Which absolutely DWARFS my single head hammer) and a leather. I know leathers aren’t necessarily all that impressive, but I’ve never had one before and I think they look so cool. They also gave me some Sunny Ds, Ricordea, and some indeterminate Palythoa but those went in my nano tank.

The cyano cleared up making way for some GHA which also appears to have (mostly) cleared up so I do think the ugly stage is done and I’m honestly so so so happy with how this tank is looking. My clown goby seems really happy too. I may still rearrange the corals a bit, but I’m generally just very happy with this tank :).
80AFF6A8-359C-478E-9542-125A803ECBA1.jpeg
image.jpg

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks really good! I love clown gobies, but the one time I tried one he just wouldn't eat and didn't make it. Are you going to add more fish?

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks really good! I love clown gobies, but the one time I tried one he just wouldn't eat and didn't make it. Are you going to add more fish?
Thanks! I love them too. I was a little worried about him at first too because he doesn’t seem to like pellet food that much, but I’ve had him for almost 2 months now and he seems fine. My tank has a ton of copepods so I think he’s been munching on those. I dose phytoplankton for them. And I am definitely going to add more fish. As much as I like clown gobies, I did not invest in a 34g tank for a single clown goby lol. The thing is, I’m moving back to school tomorrow, so the stocking is going to be put on pause until Thanksgiving (or until coronavirus sends me home...whichever comes first) :). In the meantime, my family will be watching the tank and doing water changes for me.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 89 67.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back