OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting note, yesterday I thawed the clam before throwing it into the tank. Tonight I just cracked an opening and tossed in the frozen clam. The regal ate more tonight having it being frozen vs. yesterday. Not sure why as they don't have access to the freezer in the ocean. It may be that it is just coincident. But it is still frustrating to see it trying to eat. He just doesn't chow down on the clam. It is full heads down/tail up for like 4-5 secs before taking a nip. And most of the time he just swims away after hovering over the clam for 4-5 secs. I do use a remote Wzye cam to observe, so not to disturb. The Copperband is the only polite one. He waits his turn even with the regal taking his sweet time. The bristletooth whitetail tang and bellus angel come right in and rip and go as they please.

Was able to clean the glass today without spooking the regal angel, so hopefully, clearer pics. But it is later in my lighting cycle:
IMG_20190924_195107.jpg
IMG_20190924_195204.jpg

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just be patient , when I first got my regal he didnt eat for 13 days . Dont go crazy yet . My regal rather eat pellets now over anything else , thank god . I have a majestic and a regal that dont touch hammers or torches which I'm grateful for. I even have a fungia that goes untouched so far , every fish is different though . A lot of people say once they start eating corals they never stop which is probably true . Hopefully that torch tip was nasty tasting for your sake
20190923_140702.jpg

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to hear he is eating. Sorry to here that he is eating your corals. I have two yellow belly regals and both eat anything I put in the tank. One eats corals and the other doesn't touch any. the one wiped out; zoas, dunkins, sinularia, torch, montiporas, and chalice."So far" has not bothered my hammers or pocillopora. I can't add anything new to try because he goes right to it and will even pull the frag plug out of where I placed it in the live rock. I had to settle for the fish of my dreams and have the reef of my dreams in another tank.

Mine apparently likes to eat uncured super glue. Every time I place a frag I have to constantly brush it away until the glue sets. Once he grabbed a mouthful of glue and it was stuck in his mouth for a few hours.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think yours will be fine. That is even nipping is a good sign for only a few days in. Mine are both super aggressive eaters now but when I first added them I would put a clam on each side of the tank to give it time to eat without the tangs bullying them out of the way. 5” is bigger than optimal though. The biggest I have started with was 3.5”. I think you will likely have to choose between your regal and your LPS though.

If you do manage to get it eating mysis, I like to feed them mysis injected with panacur. I find it much more effective than prazi. I do a medicated feeding every 3 days for a total of 4 treatments.

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been switching off between clams and oysters. Being doing it pretty much every night. He is a big fan of the oysters. He chows that down the most.

Today, I used an old clamshell from last night and I put Masstick on the bottom and put a piece of LRS Fish Frenzy on top. It did not stick as the LRS FF floated away after the first peck by the Whitetail Bristletooth Tang. I am hoping to transition him to LRS or Masstick instead of doing the clam or oyster every night.

Wondering how long I need to clam/oyster for.

He has been very aggressive with the Copperband. He chases him away from the clam/oyster. I guess that is a good sign that he is feeling more comfortable in it.

IMG_20190926_194321.jpg
IMG_20190926_193946.jpg

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Just stick with what’s working until he settles in and starts eating better. Maybe try some live brine mixed with mysis to see if that will get him to try food from the water column.

Looking very healthy though and I agree that it’s a good sign that he’s aggressively defending the clam/oyster.

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I did notice that the area around the pectoral fins(typically where the stomach is near) has been flattened slightly. That is why I have been feeding a whole clam or oyster nightly. Would love for him to get the LRS that I insert into a TwoLittleFishes pouch directly, like I have trained the Copperband to do. All the other fish attack that thing too.

He has not touched the nori from the clip. Waiting for him to do that as well.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I did notice that the area around the pectoral fins(typically where the stomach is near) has been flattened slightly. That is why I have been feeding a whole clam or oyster nightly. Would love for him to get the LRS that I insert into a TwoLittleFishes pouch directly, like I have trained the Copperband to do. All the other fish attack that thing too.

He has not touched the nori from the clip. Waiting for him to do that as well.

Try shoving some nori in the oyster shell so some is hanging out.

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today is what I wanted. The Regal Angel eating LRS and later, Hikari Angel Mix from the TwoLittleFishes pouch. This is my normal routine for feeding the fish, besides dumping in pellets(NLS or Sustainable Aquatics). A couple of days ago, I put Masstick on an empty oyster and stuck a nori in there. I don't think it ate the nori. Next thing is to see if he will eat the nori on a clip. But I think he will be fine in the tank unless he starts eating the LPS again.

IMG_20191001_180525.jpg
IMG_20191002_101641.jpg
IMG_20191002_173749.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would start with an Epsom salt bath and QT id possible. Buy a head of cheapest zoa you can find and add metroplex and furan into RO water to foram a paste and dust over those zoas to get this stuff into its' body
You Could try Prazi Pro and see if it responds as stringy white poop is an internal issue/indicator

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with an Epsom salt bath and QT id possible. Buy a head of cheapest zoa you can find and add metroplex and furan into RO water to foram a paste and dust over those zoas to get this stuff into its' body
You Could try Prazi Pro and see if it responds as stringy white poop is an internal issue/indicator
Thanks. Have not seen him with white stringy poop since the first couple of days in my tank. As an earlier poster suggested, it may have been stress. That was news to me that white stringy poop doesn't always equal internal parasite.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back