New to me

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yash, a real Picasso. You sure painted a pretty picture with that post!! :D Start with some easier SPS, birdsnest, etc. You could get them right now and see how they do. I wouldn't dump a bunch of cash into expensive SPS until you know you can grow the easier / cheaper ones!!

You could always grow out the birdsnest and trade them to @CastAway , he loves them.

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I want to put any money in to sps.. but there are not to many high up lps corals.. scared im going to have a beautiful sand and middle rock but nothing up top..

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is a good time to try sps? Its been up about 2 months.. I have only tried 2 sps in 7 years.. nitrates hold steady at 5 or just under.. (red sea) just wondering. I know there are a bunch more experienced sps people. .

There really isn't a set timeframe for when it is safe to get into SPS. That will pretty much be dictated by your tank parameters. Assuming all else is in place (tank cycled for a good bit, adequate lighting etc...) once your levels (Alk, Ca, Mg specifically) have stabilized, you should be good to go. NO3 at 5 shouldn't be an issue. What are your PO4 levels at?

I'm no expert at SPS (only been in the sticks for about 6 months now) but tank stability is of utmost important. Case in point - up until about 3 weeks back I was dosing Alk and Ca via an ATO (Kalk). My Alk would swing a fair bit, and my pH was all over the map. Ever since I switched to two-part, and the resulting stability it provided to the Alk and pH, the SPS growth has really taken off! New growth tips everywhere! So I can say through personal experience that parameter stability is key.

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't checked po4. I also use two part on that tank.. everything seems stable but I am moving corals from my bio cube every few day.. so I guess ill wait awhile

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a good picture.. juvenile alantic blue tang

1458437010689.jpg

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess ill jinx myself but I tested today and nitrates still holding around 2 ppm.. dosing pump turned on just alittle fine running.. then I think im going to try sps again.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve i have Acropora valida - Tri-color frag if you like to try ,I will give it to you for free as a guinea pig,try it and see how it goes with your adventure to SPS corals:rolleyes:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back